Show us your new tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show us your new tool?

I haven’t seen one but if there is a similar thread please disregard this one. Show us your new toy...I mean new tool. Who cares if it’s used or if you made it, give us a show

No picture yet, but a "BeaverCraft" 1-inch spoon carving knife/gouge.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

This is a Lichtenberg burner I built out of an old microwave transformer. Will use it mostly for background work, still experimenting (carefully). I will be using in conjunction with my wood carving. The top of the box is an example of the type of burns it does.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      . . .JoeB

Comment

I won this from a raffle at a carving show. I have no idea what it is used for? What do you do with this? It is huge!
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Near as I can tell, "Sloyd" was a wood working curriculum for education in Europe and the UK.
          There were a few unique tools and the "Sloyd" knife profile was one of them.
          Personally, I'd like to use that in the kitchen for all sorts of food prep.
          Brian T

Comment

Kind of what I was thinking, a camp knife
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Well, I don't camp so may play around with it to possibly hog off wood. It will probably wind up in my kitchen too.

Comment

Don't have a good picture, however, I just purchased the Bishop Ocular Tool, made by Mike Shipley at OCC Tools. It is a 7/16" X 64 Soft V tool. Used to make the eye socket in caricatures, and for relieving wood next to the nose.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammy66 View Post
                  Well, I don't camp so may play around with it to possibly hog off wood. It will probably wind up in my kitchen too.
                  Sammy, you're on the right track. A sloyd knife is generally used for rough carving work. I have three sloyds, bought when I first dabbled in carving years ago...they get very little use, as I find them just too clumsy in shape and thickness to be useful. I hope yours proves better suited to your style of carving. It does look quite a bit sleeker than mine, and I do like Flexcuts.
                  Arthur C.
                  Senior Member Louisiana
                  Last edited by Arthur C.; 03-26-2019, 10:26 AM.
                  Arthur

Comment

My newest tool is a KN27 Flexcut detail knife. This is the official description:

The Mini-Detail Knife has a straight blade. It is made from ultra-thin material to not disturb adjacent wood for very delicate cuts. The smaller handle is faceted with multiple control points to allow it to be held in a variety of comfortable positions.

Blade Bevel Length: 3/4"

I have fallen in love with this little beauty! It makes very delicate cuts and just glides through the wood without effort. Hardly an hour goes by that I don't use it.

Arthur

Comment

OK just saw this.....anyone has one let me know???? Super interested.....

DMT WAV-F Diamond Wave Fine Sharpener https://www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i...

AMAZON.COM
                      DMT WAV-F Diamond Wave Fine Sharpener
                      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

My new tool is a Tom Ellis carving knife . Its a great looking knife & it cuts as good as it looks . Couldn't be any happier, Tom's handles are very comfortable too. I liked it so much I ordered two more . He sales them on ebay and sometimes offers a small detail knife as well.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

Sammy, you're on the right track. A sloyd knife is generally used for rough carving work. I have three sloyds, bought when I first dabbled in carving years ago...they get very little use, as I find them just too clumsy in shape and thickness to be useful. I hope yours proves better suited to your style of carving. It does look quite a bit sleeker than mine, and I do like Flexcuts.
                          Thanks. Actually, this thing looks totally useless for the type of carving in the round I do. And yes, it is huge and bulky. (It was not my lst choice for the raffle, but it was what was left.) To be perfectly honest, it looks like a serious injury just waiting to happen (at least in my hands).

Comment

Deleon, I saw some folks raving about this very sharpener on a fb woodcarvers forum. I have no personal experience with one. Three of them were really singing its praises though. There were no negative comments from the ones who own it.

Comment

tbox61, I also own that very tool. I love it. It took a tiny bit to adjust to the soft curve, but wow, does it ever do a beautiful job!

Comment

Working...
                              X