Honing Gouges On A Scheppach Tiger 2500 Wetstone Grinder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honing Gouges On A Scheppach Tiger 2500 Wetstone Grinder

I don't want to regrind any gouges, unnecessarily removing metal. I only want to put the edge back on the gouges using the leather honing wheel.Scheppach don't provide any videos on how to do it or anything else of any help, using their angle guide or any of their jigs. I have all or most of the Scheppach kit, truing jig, stone grader, various jigs as well as several Tormek jigs.
    I seem to just be going round in circles trying to find out how to do what I want to do.
    YouTube videos all mostly cover sharpening plane irons on the stone, not honing the gouges. Trying to cross reference to techniques used by Grizzly, Triton etc wet stone grinders, there YouTube videos is a dead end, often using different angle gauges to the Scheppach version.
    I'm looking for someone who has a Scheppach wet stone grinder and can clearly explain how I hone gouges on it?
    Cheers.

Have you measured the bevel angle(s) of your gouges?
    Then you set up to hold that with any abrasive you might use, honing compound on the leather wheel included.
    Brian T

Comment

I've had another look at the various YouTubes videos, of the Scheppach its clones also the various manuals. I think I've fathomed it out now thank you.
      The line of light, one time I spent ages trying to find it, then it dawned on me, the reason I couldn't see, find it, was because the gouge was sharp.
      That said, any tips on seeing the line of light?
      Cheers.

Comment

I use a 10X magnifier to inspect the edges of gouges and knives.
        I use a very bright LED light, more directional that an old incandescent.
        I'm looking for the little folded and crumpled bits of edge which reflect light.
        I call those "sparks of light". It's never been a uniform line of light.
        I know all the different bevel angles for my wood carving tool edges.

Depending on the size of those sparks, I will begin with either 600 or 800 grit to re-establish the edge.
        Then 1000, then 1200, then 1500, then hone with CrOx/AlOx.
        Brian T

Comment

OK thanks I was looking at a 10X magnifying glass a few days ago, will now order one.

Comment

I guess the game is to grind out the sparks then gradually erase the coarse grit scratches.
            I need that 10X mag and the LED light for my old eyes!
            Just have to be careful that I don't knick the end of my nose with the tool edge.

Next, you need a piece of carving wood for testing edges. I keep one for each kind of wood that I use.
            The texture of the wood is not the same as hair and fingers so those tests are silly.
            Shaving sharp isn't carving sharp to me.
            Brian T

Comment

Working...
            X