Tool handles.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool handles.

Where can you buy full size carving tool handles without breaking the bank.? Can't find anything on eBay.

Depends on what kind of tools, manufacturer, etc. If you're looking for generic, you can Google on "replacement woodcarving tool handles" (adding the manufacturer might help) and do a hit and miss until you find what you're looking for.

A little more info. and maybe one of us can give you some help.

If you know somebody with a lathe, they can turn some handles for you. I've carved some with success. Nothing beautiful but they're functional.

Bob L

Comment

Yeah, a bit more information but I've found reasonably priced"tool" handles at the local hardware store...might be hickory? How big, what type wood, shape etc.?
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

If I have just the metal part of chisel, I drill out the end for the shank, then shape the block of wood, apply a finish. Then I epoxy the tool inside of the hole I drilled.

Comment

JB & SJ addis .Some handles are in good shape but would like to have everything match . There's a jig you can make for your band saw to cut octagon carving tool handles out but can find any plans yet to make it.

Comment

Why not make your own? I usually end you cutting off handles and replace them with one of my own design and to fit my needs.

Bob
            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Ya mean like these? The knife is walnut and the other is red oak.

I took a piece of 1 1/4 inch square stock, I drew a 3/4" diameter circle at on end and a 1/14" circle at the other end. Then I divide the circle into 8 equal parts and put a mark across the circle at each division. Got my sharpest chisel and started carving flats using the marks as approximate targets. A tip would be to carve the flat sides first to the marks on the small circle and then cut the corners to match the marks in between. You can cut the square flats with your bandsaw and then chisel in between. Once you got the sides done, miter the corners on the edges where your hand does the pushing.

It's kinda challenging but it's neat when you're done. And it's really not hard once you get the hang of it.

BTW--before carving the sides, draw lines from corner to corner on the small circle end and then drill a pilot hole for later when you want to put your chisel in. It helps to get it centered and it'll be easier to clamp the block while it's square.

Give it a try. It might be off a bit until you get the hang of it.

Bob L

Comment

What kind of metal?
                Bill

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                  What kind of metal?
                  Heavy metal -

i got got some great handles from the spindles on a wooden chair. Just smashed it up(wish I took my time. Because some are different sizes, some work great and others are to small or large. It seems like the jigsaw jig is the way to go it you like an octagon style. I have a few gouges like Bob(“just carving” and really like the shape. I need about a dozen handles myself. I’ll let you know what I find. File handles seem to be readily available. Not probably what you want. Please post some pictures of you Addis chisels, I love those old tools!

Comment

Originally posted by Vice View Post

Heavy metal -

i got got some great handles from the spindles on a wooden chair. Just smashed it up(wish I took my time. Because some are different sizes, some work great and others are to small or large. It seems like the jigsaw jig is the way to go it you like an octagon style. I have a few gouges like Bob(“just carving” and really like the shape. I need about a dozen handles myself. I’ll let you know what I find. File handles seem to be readily available. Not probably what you want. Please post some pictures of you Addis chisels, I love those old tools!
                    Gee, never knew people used lead blades.

Good idea with the chair and it seems there are more options than I realized, although I don't make knives, but the wood can be used for other things. I just don't have the room for equipment. There are some excellent "junk" shops around here with great prices...need to hang out there more often.
                    Bill

Comment

It's funny you mention chair legs. We have a Spring cleanup where everybody puts their broken furniture, old appliances, etc. out. I always see so much wood furniture and think I could fix that in a half hour but then what? I see the chairs with one leg broken off and missing. I'd always think what could I do with the rest of that chair? Now I know the other three legs could be turned into handles, but then what? It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has grand notions but no place to store them.

Bob L

Comment

Turning a square into an octagon can be done with a rasp, file, sander- no biggie. Just knock the corners off till it looks and/or feels right. Might be the simplest carving you ever do.....

Comment

Hobo, You might check out Ramelson for handles. Tom
                          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I made some file handles from lengths of 1" willow tree trunk.
                            Just tap the tangs into holes drilled up the middles.

For all my crooked knives, I made 1" x 1" blanks.
                            Then I pruned them down to size & shape with spoke shaves.
                            That worked much better than I expected.
                            You count the strokes to take off a corner half way.
                            Then do the other three = octagon.
                            Brian T

Comment

If you have a belt or disc sander you can shape a handle out of hardwood faster with the sander than you can make one on a lathe. I have messed with "carving smoking pipes out of briar, those pipes are drilled and then shaped with disc sanders. A 40 or 60 grit disc is almost as fast as a chainsaw carver.

Comment

Working...
                              X