Butter knife shaped carving blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike swindell View Post
    Ok rookie question,are these blades typically flat ground ? I know they must be sharp but I am comparing the grind on this blade versus the 30 degree and very visible bevel on the scraper blades I am using from floordot.
    You should contact Deepwood Ventures. They are very nice to work with.
    Wood carving knives with figured wood handles honed to a razor sharp edge.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

OK, here is how I change my edge:
      1. measure the thickness of the steel & divide that in half: metal is 0.03" thick÷2=0.015" or

2. for The edge angle (angle per slope) of 6°devidde the 1/2 thickness by 0.1051The value of the target for 6°=0.1454" or 5/32". This is the distance from the edge of the knife's edge to where the edge angle intersects the side of the blade. do the same for the other side, the results will be 12° included angle for the cutting the edge.

For a 25° cutting edge use 0.2217 instead of 0.1051.

It is basically the 1/2 the thickness of the blade divided by the Tangent value of the edge angle.

hope this might help, if not let me know
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hey Randy I thought you could just look at your butter knife and see if it is flat ground.Not too much to ask. Either the edge has a noticeable bevel or not. The picture from northwoods shows a very small bevel almost a secondary bevel.

Comment

Originally posted by mike swindell View Post
          Hey Randy I thought you could just look at your butter knife and see if it is flat ground.Not too much to ask. Either the edge has a noticeable bevel or not. The picture from northwoods shows a very small bevel almost a secondary bevel.
          No Mike it’s would not be a problem and it is not to much to ask! If I was able to get to my shop. But it will be a week or so before I can. So I thought it would not be to much trouble for you to ask the guy that made it what angle he puts on his butter blades so you would have a accurate answer.
          We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
          https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Working...
          X