No announcement yet.

Is this normal for Pfeil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only left-handed tools I have are skews, specifically spoon bent skews. Perhaps only needed for reaching the corners of a deep undercut. Interestingly, you don't switch hands to use them. I like the double-sided blades of the Kestrel crooked knives, and my go-to stop cut knife is double-sided.

Comment

I've got pairs of 12mm skews mostly for doing the V-cuts in a form-line carving. I catch myself using one in each hand.
      I like the single edge crooked knives as I can turn a RH over and push.
      The double edges are great, hard to learn how and where to push. Just habit, I suppose.
      Brian T

Comment

I have sold thousands of Pfeil tools, and have never seen anything like that.

Absolutely take it back. Their warranty is good and is forever. If your dealer won't take it back or gives you grief, get another dealer.

I recently had some tools damaged in the mail. We sent the customer new ones,and I re sharpened the damaged ones, which the customer got for a reduced price because they were "used."

I think it is entirely possible that some vendor might inexpertly sharpen a damaged tool, and then sell it as new. Unethical!

I have honored the warranty on tools that really had been abused, but in my view, it is absolutely not worth it to debate this kind of thing with customers, so I don't. I just send them a new tool, and fix the damaged one. They are almost always just fine after a re sharpening, and live on in my personal tool selection.

I have had less than 10 legitimate warranty claims on thousands of Pfeil tools sold.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
          The only left-handed tools I have are skews, specifically spoon bent skews. Perhaps only needed for reaching the corners of a deep undercut. Interestingly, you don't switch hands to use them. I like the double-sided blades of the Kestrel crooked knives, and my go-to stop cut knife is double-sided.
          I do like my kestrel crook knifes a lot. It’s a toss up between those and my north bay knifes. I like the thinner profile of the kestrel blade for finer detail work but the north bay take some beating. I’m not a fan of the kestrel handle, I bend is nice but it should get fatter further up the haft not slender if your using the palm up method.

Comment

When I switched from gouges to crooked knives, I started making all handles.
            The farrier's hoof knives come in right and left-hand edges, bash off the handles and make new ones which fit my hands.
            I reshaped the hooked tips with a Dremel and cut-off wheels.

One advantage (maybe?) is that I can carve with a knife in each hand, no need to switch.Same as with a pair of skews.

Even with the double-edged blades of the Pacific Northwest, making the handle is a key step for me.
            Brian T

Comment

Working...
            X