My knives so far.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My knives so far.

After reading Claude's story about that darn breakage, I thought about my tool box/mess.
    I have always enjoyed making things as most of us do. And woodworking has always led to another thing or two. Here are a few of my recent cutting apparatuses. The smallest , one is a nail, 6-IMG_0022.JPG I ground and heated to make a small gouge/chisel just over 1/8" the other is just 3/16" wide out os an old screw driver I had. 7-IMG_0023.JPG Then I had a need for a smaller knife and had some hacksaw blade that needed work, one wound up about 1-1/4 " long 1-IMG_0016.JPG and the other is just 3/4 " long. image_17416.jpg Now I use these because, I like small things to carve/cut on. One particular one is the handle has a piece of heartwood in it is made from a 3/16" end wrench. 2-IMG_0025.JPG And I decided one day that I needed a real gouge for a spoon that I posted, I made it out of a 7/8" box end wrench. 5-IMG_0021.JPG I do have several Flex knives and another brand. thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Claude; 08-20-2019, 01:06 PM.

Got an image to show us
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Comment

WHAT? I can seem!

Comment

They're up now, good job, I never thought of using a box-end wrench, clever
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
            They're up now, good job, I never thought of using a box-end wrench, clever
            Joe, I saw a guy on the tube make one out of a 1-1/2 " and thought.. gewhizz I have some old tools.. One thing about my tools, for me and most handles, don't look great but fit my mitts. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post

Joe, I saw a guy on the tube make one out of a 1-1/2 " and thought.. gewhizz I have some old tools.. One thing about my tools, for me and most handles, don't look great but fit my mitts. Thanks.
              How did you sharpen the inside? Dremel?
              Jos
              Belgium

Comment

My new (used) knife.

So I’m drinking my first cup of coffee the other day and looking at the latest listings of used tools on eBay.
                Something I do every morning. As I glance at a collection on miscellaneous kind of beat up tools something catches my eye. In the middle of the photo is a Diobsud Forge knife. This will be the fourth one I’ve acquired this way cause I’m just too cheap to pay $60 to $90 for a tool. But they are wood cutting fools.

BF2681D8-8056-45C2-93E5-0BF4C897D2E2.jpeg9C835C17-9E8F-49BA-B0D2-F52CC9990707.jpeg
                Last edited by Nebraska; 09-14-2019, 05:45 PM.
                Ed
                Living in a pile of chips.
                https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Speaking of knives I picked two knives by B.K.Thurman and wondering if anyone knows who he was?

451509A9-B260-47F7-8BAD-00EBED310CFB.jpeg
                  Ed

Comment

i have 30 knives and i use two but you have adapted well

Comment

Originally posted by rickm View Post
                      i have 30 knives and i use two but you have adapted well
                      Me too, I carry 8 knives in my tool caddy but rarely use more than a couple. Truth be told seldom use a knife unless I’m doing something like a ball in a box or carving eyelids. Finding Diobsud forge tools being sold by folks who don’t know what they have has kind of became a little sub hobby for me. My first one was included with a Warren Cutlery set. They just kind of glide through wood and hold an edge better than Pfeil. So yes as I’m selling knives I don’t use on eBay I’m buying another knife I will seldom use and don’t need. Good news as usually happens with these deals buy the time I sell the tools that come with the knife I’ll put the knife in my caddy $20 in my wallet. It’s good to have hobbies!
                      Ed

Comment

ok you got me i never heard of diobsud forge do they have a web page?

Comment

Small forge in Western Washington State made hand forged tools the steel holds an edge like no other tool in my bag. They carve basswood like butter (well sort of) If recall correctly they closed in late 90’s. Carvers in Washington used to will them to other local carvers so they wouldn’t leave the area. There are some on eBay now starting around $75.00 going up to $100.00 each. So I watch and drink my coffee.

E07251F2-59AA-4D7C-932F-46D0B4A45785.jpeg
                          Ed

Comment

I found this on a dead web page.

These fine knives are forged from high carbon steel. They are hand hammered so that the grain structure is refined, ground and hardened to a full Martensite hardness to give them the best combination of edge holding and ease of sharpening. They are then honed to a razor edge. Use caution as they are very sharp. Handles are of premium straight grained Maple with an oiled finish. This is a Western made tool unlike any other you have used and we guarantee you will be more than pleased with your purchase. Use a strop or "Powerstrop" to keep them sharp.

Martensite? The other tool maker I’ve heard use that term is Oscar tools (Ukraine) they use liquid nitrogen in the hardening process. These aren’t the prettiest girl at the dance but they do hold an edge.

796523DE-FAF7-4A1D-AE9F-38B8F4195534.jpeg
                            If you only dance with the pretty girls then take a look at Beckwith Arts small forge in Pennsylvania that will do custom orders and occasionally sells on eBay under the name neza. Not only pretty but one hell of a dancer.

9D30664F-7B87-4E77-99CB-BF46227A49EF.jpeg
                            Last edited by Nebraska; 09-16-2019, 08:29 AM.
                            Ed

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
                              After reading Claude's story about that darn breakage, I thought about my tool box/mess.
                              I have always enjoyed making things as most of us do. And woodworking has always led to another thing or two. Here are a few of my recent cutting apparatuses. The smallest , one is a nail, 6-IMG_0022.JPG I ground and heated to make a small gouge/chisel just over 1/8" the other is just 3/16" wide out os an old screw driver I had. 7-IMG_0023.JPG Then I had a need for a smaller knife and had some hacksaw blade that needed work, one wound up about 1-1/4 " long 1-IMG_0016.JPG and the other is just 3/4 " long. image_17416.jpg Now I use these because, I like small things to carve/cut on. One particular one is the handle has a piece of heartwood in it is made from a 3/16" end wrench. 2-IMG_0025.JPG And I decided one day that I needed a real gouge for a spoon that I posted, I made it out of a 7/8" box end wrench. 5-IMG_0021.JPG I do have several Flex knives and another brand. thanks for looking.
                              Very resourceful using the wrench is just wicked creative. One of our guys has made small detail tools using street sweeper bristles.
                              Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X