3 tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 tools

if you only had three tools for carving what would they be or three tools you would recommend to a beginner, like rough out knife, detail and v tool something like that

I always start off with 1/4" #3 to get my pattern in, then it would be a roughout knife, then a detail knife
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Well, a roughout knife, a detail knife and a "V" tool...and band-aids .
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

In the Pacific Northwest style of the First Nations:
        Straight knife, crooked knife (about a 'C' Kestrel bend) and a Kestrel Baby Sitka elbow adze.
        Expect to buy blades and make the handles.

In the western european style:
        Straight (detail) knife, 8/7 gouge, 5F/14 gouge
        Brian T

Comment

Carving is not one "thing," so no set of tools will fit all beginning activity. That's what Brian implied with his separate lists for Pacific NW First Nations style carving and European style carving. There is a similar separation between whittling, relief, chip, sculpture, intaglio, etc. etc.

It's like when you went in the computer store to buy your first computer. The first thing the young salesperson asked was, "What do you want to do with it?"
          Last edited by pallin; 09-10-2019, 03:31 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
            Carving is not one "thing," so no set of tools will fit all beginning activity. That's what Brian implied with his separate lists for Pacific NW First Nations style carving and European style carving. There is a similar separation between whittling, relief, chip, sculpture, intaglio, etc. etc.

It's like when you went in the computer store to buy your first computer. The first thing the young salesperson asked was, "What do you want to do with it?"
            Absolutely I love #3 but when JoeB said 1/4” I’m think way to small. But truly as you said it depends on what you’re doing.
            Ed
            Living in a pile of chips.
            https://m.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

Comment

I have 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, & 7/8" sitting right beside my carving bench, they are probably the most used of all my knives, especially when shaping my carving weather in-the-round or relieve carving. That is not to say that I'm a user of all the knives as the need arises.
              . . .JoeB

Comment

When I helped my grand-daughter with her first relief carving at age 9, the three tools were: #3-12mm, #5-10mm, a fixed blade knife.

Comment

Desire, imagination and fortitude.
                  Greg

Comment

These are the facts.

rickm asked the real question = what do you really need for basics?

Every style has a different tool kit. Pallin brought that point up, GG added the focus.

If anything, big tool sets are a mistake, depending on what you want to do.
                    Brian T

Comment

I bought a couple of knife sets and have added individual knives and gouges, and during any project they are all laying out before me. But I find myself reaching for just Five tools. My medium size bench knife, a 6mm gouge, a small vee, a small skew, and a detail knife. That’s what works for me. Ymmv.

Comment

I'm a whittler, so left hand, right hand, wharncliffe blade between 1" and 1.5". I let the knife dictate what I can do.

That's a little facetious but you get the picture.
                        Last edited by Buffalo Bif; 09-11-2019, 07:33 AM.
                        Buffalo Bif
                        bflobif.com

Comment

A knife, a pencil and a kevlar glove.

Bob L

Comment

interesting\ set of answers that opens up a whole sea of possibilities i should have asked what do you value for your specific venue? but i wanted to keep it simple and if a new carver person would read this might help orient their choice of tools

Comment

Small V
                              Roughout Knife
                              Detail Knife

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X