Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Work Sharp 3000 (plus some Tormek jigs and an electric drill) changed my life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Work Sharp 3000 (plus some Tormek jigs and an electric drill) changed my life

I though I might share my sharpening setup as it brings me a lot of joy.

I now have quite a few gouges and knives and one thing that was infuriating me was commissioning and sharpening them! Using diamond stones and a leather strop I swear I was spending half my time sharpening. And whenever I chipped a v tool... well, that was usually a sign to finish up for the day unless I was in a really good mood at the time.

Inspired by some YouTubers, I got myself a used Work Sharp 3000 and a bunch of discs. They are very rare in the UK but I managed to get one for £90 off eBay. And as the title says, it's changed my life. It's so fast to go from rough to a mirror finish it still makes me grin ear to ear.

To make it even better I did the following:
    • I took a Tormek "BGM-100 Bench Grinding Mounting Set" and mounted it vertically so the beam is at the top and horizontal. So now I can mount other Tormek tools to it. (See photo). The woodwork involved is terrible but I only had a couple of pieces of pine. I'll have a go at something more fancy eventually.
    • I then got myself a Tormek "SVD-186 Gouge Jig" (for my spoon and back bents) and a "SVS-38 Short Tool Jig"; these make it very easy to get consistent shaping.
    • I mounted a small budget USB bicycle light to the Work Sharp which - along with my OptiVisor 8x - makes it really easy to see the "white line" of the edge.
    One task the Work Sharp doesn't do, however, is the inside of V tools. So I took another Tormek product - this time a "LA-120 Profiled Leather Honing Wheel" - and mounted it on a drill using an M10 bolt and some MDF (see photo). The result is that I can strop the inside bevel of the V tool in seconds! Bliss. (Since then I've made various other shaped power strops from offcuts of leather I get from eBay).

But it has a big problem!..... It's SO good at sharpening that even my cheapest gouges are like surgeon's knives - giving me a slight bit of buyer's remorse for getting those fancy Auriou and Ashley Iles ones!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jof; 09-18-2019, 12:32 PM.

I am happy for you that you found it and that your tools are now good and sharp. The difference between a good tool and a poor one is two things: 1) the bevel that it comes on it, 2) how long the tool holds a good edge. It takes practice to find the perfect bevel and money to find the tools that hold that great edge.

Put those sharp tools to good use and show us what you can do with them.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

really that good forreal?

Comment

I'm envious. I'm still sharpening and honing by hand on oil stones and final honing on cardboard.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jof View Post
          I my sharpening setup as it brings me a lot of joy.

To make it even better I did the following:[LIST][*]I took a Tormek "BGM-100 Bench Grinding Mounting Set" and mounted it vertically so the beam is at the top and horizontal. So now I can mount other Tormek tools to it.
          Hi
          do you have some picture to make it clear? Thanks
          Jos
          Belgium

Comment

Originally posted by jderijcke View Post

Hi
            do you have some picture to make it clear? Thanks
            Jos: I've just updated the original post with my setup.

Comment

Hi
              thanks for the picture. Very clear now and I must say that's a handy solution!
              Jos
              Belgium

Comment

Working...
              X