My carving Glove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My carving Glove

I don’t often carve smaller projects that are held while carving but when I do.
    I go medieval.

13E3C689-AC81-4EF4-816B-9AD333879FF9.jpeg
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

the only way to fly

Comment

Smart!!

Tinwood

Comment

Certainly good protection and will keep the fear of dulling your blade by hitting it.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Is there any one particular big reason why you have to hold that carving to work on it?
          Carving towards my hands is not on my list.
          Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
            I don’t often carve smaller projects that are held while carving but when I do.
            I go medieval.

13E3C689-AC81-4EF4-816B-9AD333879FF9.jpeg
            Been using a chain mail stainless steel carving glove for 15 or so years. I don't trust my blood thinner hands with anything else. Great choice! And as a side note I don't have any problem dulling knives by hitting them against the metal glove. I still try to carve in a safe matter and keep the fingers and thumb away from the sharp edge of the knife.

Comment

Are you left handed? Most people have the glove on the other hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Steev View Post
                Are you left handed? Most people have the glove on the other hand.
                Left handed? Depending on what I’m doing but mostly yes.
                Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

Been using a chain mail stainless steel carving glove for 15 or so years. I don't trust my blood thinner hands with anything else. Great choice! And as a side note I don't have any problem dulling knives by hitting them against the metal glove. I still try to carve in a safe matter and keep the fingers and thumb away from the sharp edge of the knife.
                  Haven’t had mine that long just started carving about 4 years ago.

Most of my carving is done in an Eli Vise and safety is one of the reasons. But when we travel I like to take a small something with me. I’ve meet a lot of interesting locals sitting on a bench carving while others are doing tourist stuff.

I can’t say I’ve never dinged an edge on the glove but I’d rather sharpen a tool than make that air sucking noise when I cut myself.
                  Ed

Comment

Say Ed, Ilke that glove, I have one that the "Tinners " sheet metal people wear, and is lighter, but is penetrable on a straight shot. where you don't have to suck,, just hold the hole shut. X2 on sharpening , rather than that sound. Thus my tag name.
                    BTW
                    I did go on your fb site for your club. That is a real nice page. Wish I belonged to one that had a page. And I have started one on a different soc page. Thanks for your vise idea , it is a lot better than mine, darn..
                    Chuck
                    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
                      Say Ed, Ilke that glove, I have one that the "Tinners " sheet metal people wear, and is lighter, but is penetrable on a straight shot. where you don't have to suck,, just hold the hole shut. X2 on sharpening , rather than that sound. Thus my tag name.
                      BTW
                      I did go on your fb site for your club. That is a real nice page. Wish I belonged to one that had a page. And I have started one on a different soc page. Thanks for your vise idea , it is a lot better than mine, darn..
                      I do have on palm gouge that is fine enough to get through the stainless steel chainmail. But not likely to get to crazy when doing fine detail.

Central Nebraska Wood Carvers
                      I consider myself fortunate to have a strong local club. We have a 22’ x 40’ heated and air conditioned building that is well equipped and stocked.
                      We have:
                      Down draft table for sanding and dermal work
                      Burke B200 Sharpening station
                      Two Bandsaws
                      12” bench top sanding disc
                      Oscillating spindle sander
                      4 6 foot carving tables
                      2 Fordoms
                      Three sets of loaner tools for new carvers
                      2 wood burning sets
                      Clamps
                      glules finish sandpaper
                      wood rack with wood of all sizes for sale.
                      all power tools attached to dust collection system

I'm a lucky man.

Ed
                      Last edited by Nebraska; 09-29-2019, 10:42 AM.
                      Ed

Comment

Working...
                      X