Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to stop the Veritas wood carving vice from rotating when used with a mallet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop the Veritas wood carving vice from rotating when used with a mallet?

Hi there.

I have a Veritas carving vice (see attached image). It’s great... but when I’m using a mallet to rough out a piece the clamping mechanism has insufficient grip on the shaft of the mounting plate and so it will rotate. The net effect is each time I strike the piece it rotates a little bit and I end up chasing it round and round. This happens no matter how tight I do up the lever.

Any ideas how I can fix this?
    Attached Files

How shiny is the shaft? The first things I would do are: 1. Clean everything and test. If there’s any oil or dust in the mating area then that will diminish the grip. 2. Lightly scuff the shine off the mating parts with very fine abrasive paper. You don’t want to change the shape or leave deep gouges, just remove any shine.
    Note I don’t have one of the vices, so this is not anything tried and tested.

Comment

Pretty shiny. I’ll give that a go, thanks! I’ll sand the jaws too: they also appear quite shiny

Comment

At the same time, send an eMessage to Lee Valley.
        Their customer service has always been good to me.

What about a carver's screw? Bash at what all you can, then rotate the carving?
        Brian T

Comment

It could be that the vice is not actually designed to withstand the force of mallet blows. The position of the ball relies entirely on friction.

Comment

I'm leaning towards Pallin's response currently. Even with roughing the surface up a bit, the shaft still rotates if I give it a modest whack. I'm only working on small things, but it doesn't take much. Perhaps I need something a bit sturdier.... Do you have any recommendations?

Comment

Any chance you can screw the carving to a wood scrap that can be clamped securely?
              Brian T

Comment

I have that Vice and mine does the same thing . The way I stopped it from turning I don't use a Mallet , Phil is right , it's not for Mallet Carving . I think that is the weak point of the Vice, it even turns when pushing a Gouge . Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                  Any chance you can screw the carving to a wood scrap that can be clamped securely?
                  I'm too cheap to buy those expensive carver's vices so I do this.

Comment

I have 2 big carver's screws. A little risky, driving them into western red cedar that splits so easily.
                    Instead, I use a piece of 2x4 and #10 Robertson screws into the bottom of a story pole.
                    I can lay it dowm, stand it up and turn it every which way to clamp to the bench.
                    Brian T

Comment

What I was once told to try was to clean the vice with alcohol. I did that and my vice held much tighter.

Comment

Eli Vise. http://littlehousewoodcarving.com/vise.html
                        and if I ever replace it I’ll get a Wilton 16300 Pow-R-Arm

6EFE3F35-FCF1-4FC9-9974-412929FF08B2.jpeg 62B0D202-894E-497F-9348-73C5DFD8B0B6.jpeg
                        Last edited by Nebraska; 10-10-2019, 11:50 AM.
                        Ed
                        Living in a pile of chips.
                        https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

The Wilton Power Arm is what I use now. I lucked out and got one at an estate sale for $20. I don't think they knew what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammy66 View Post
                            The Wilton Power Arm is what I use now. I lucked out and got one at an estate sale for $20. I don't think they knew what it was.
                            Curious do you know which model your using? I’ve wondered if you really need to go all the way 16300 to get a stable hold?
                            Ed
                            Living in a pile of chips.
                            https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Ed, It's the Powerarm 311. It's an older one. It appears to be nearly the same as the 16240. It is not the hydraulic one. Once it's clamped into position, it will NOT move.
                              Last edited by Sammy66; 10-12-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X