Recommendation for the best pocket knife for wood carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Hindes View Post
    With the OAR CARVER no longer in production, it just occurred to me that I may need a new pocketknife. Just by luck, Christmas is just around the corner. Checking the Internet is a bust! Almost all listings are commercial sites that may or may not be worth reading. I'll come right out with it, the folks on this forum have more knowledge about pocket knives for carving than some stranger employed by some manufacturer or vendor. I need a recommendation for the best woodcarving pocket knife.
    Used a modified Colt rail splitter for years. Then on a backcountry fly fishing trip I screwed up carving a screw from a piece of pine, pushed wrong one time. Blade folded cut my index finger deep. Had to put a splint on my finger to keep the wound closed. A week in the high country trying to keep it clean and straight. It healed fine and I awkwardly managed to catch a few fish, but hope you’ll seriously consider a locking blade.
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Opinel works pretty good & they have many different sizes. They lock too.

Comment

Not sure if you are averse to Flexcut, but Hartville Tools has been a go to for me for the most part if I'm looking for Flexcut tools. Here's the Tri-Jack for $74 & free shipping. https://www.hartvilletool.com/produc...-carving-tools. The Whittling jack is $46 & free shipping. https://www.hartvilletool.com/produc...-carving-tools And then there's the Detail Jack for $34 & free shipping. https://www.hartvilletool.com/produc...-carving-tools

I have the Detail jack, the Pocket Jack and the Spoon Carvin Jack. I like them all.

Anyway, Google on "Flexcut and the model number" and that's how I come up with the best price. Sometimes, eBay is a better price. But you have to be careful it's not one that's been beat up.

Good Luck!

Bob L

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Hindes View Post
          With the OAR CARVER no longer in production, it just occurred to me that I may need a new pocketknife. Just by luck, Christmas is just around the corner. Checking the Internet is a bust! Almost all listings are commercial sites that may or may not be worth reading. I'll come right out with it, the folks on this forum have more knowledge about pocket knives for carving than some stranger employed by some manufacturer or vendor. I need a recommendation for the best woodcarving pocket knife.
          Tom,

Closest to your oar carver is a case canoe. But it would have to be modified. And, the nick has to be well forward. I will post a pic so that you can see.

Another one is a rr sowbelly lockback (can't find anymore) with modification. I will post a pic so you can see.

Opinel is a great choice. May not be right for you considering you like oar carvers.

Might try suggestions from Nomad or Rick Webe. They are the pocket knife gurus.

Rob Robison

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
            I'm sure I don't have to remind you readers not to carry your favorite pocket knife when you go through airport security. I have forfeited several really nice folders. . .

That may be the reason I use only fixed blade knives for carving, and never put them in my pocket.
            Don't forget hospital and Government Bldgs either. Almost lost my brand new Old Timer pocket knife last month when I reported to the hospital for a procedure and discovered that they had instituted metal detectors and security checks. You've never seen an old man run as fast as I did to put my knife back in the truck before Valet Parking drove off with it!

Comment

I am no expert on this subject, but I got a really slick Rough Rider lockback from Buffalo Bif. It is really cool. My latest find was an early 70's Pow'R Craft knife put out by Montgomery Wards. USA made, and a 3 blade stockman pattern. I had Dallas Deege at Old Texas Woodcarvers modify it, and I think I have $20 in it all told. It is my go to 'take along' knife when I just want to bring a block of wood and a knife.

I have two other Imperial 2 blade patterns that I had Dallas also modify. I am using them for bark carving, as I don't want to subject my good knives to the stuff in bark.

I did not know the Oar Carvers had gone by the wayside...I was lucky enough to gift myself a bone handled single blade Oar Carver from Bob Stadtlander several years ago...spendy, but a knife that is really, really nice!

Comment

Tbox61's knife is one I modified with a file. Its a kit- RRCS5 around $10 and a lot of fun. Forgot about that one.
                Buffalo Bif
                bflobif.com

Comment

Was curious about the Flexcut Carving Jack knife but did not like the price. Saw an Old Timer knife that is similar for only $20. I took the plunge and bought one. I will say it needs to be sharpened. Time will tell.

Old Timer 6 blade.jpg
                  Dean

Comment

I too told myself why buy a flexcut lockback carvin jack when I can get an old timer for under $20. Now I know, I know, I’m the only carver ever needed stitches cause because a spring lock let a blade fold on their finger. And I have been accused more than once of indulging my hobbies. But with a little patience you can pickup a nice used flexcut carvin jack for $50 to $60 on eBay. I got a new one for $75. Your fingers your call.
                    Ed
                    Living in a pile of chips.
                    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Tom, you gotta let us know what you pick. We gotta know.....
                      Buffalo Bif
                      bflobif.com

Comment

swiss army ?

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...arver&_sacat=0

Comment

i like the buck knives and swiss army a bit costly but good steel and are comfortable and both are made someplace other than china so that gets my vote

Comment

Working...
                            X