Loose Flexcut knife blade...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Flexcut knife blade...

..I plan on resetting the blade with epoxy. I'm not interested in another knife or sending it back. The problem is the blade wiggles in the handle but doesn't want to come out. Has any one dealt with this situation without digging out all the adhesive that's in there now?

Bob L

Email or call Flexcut?
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

You could try Thin CA Glue , that would run down thru the Voids and fill them . Merle

Comment

I clamp the blade in the vice and pull on the handle until it comes off. With the blade upright in the vice the cutting edge is not damaged and when the bond lets go, the pointy bits are held stationary.

Comment

Wood burner, next I suppose you’re going to suggest if you’re lost you stop and ask for directions.

Steev, I like putting the blade in a vise but then I’m going for the heat gun to loosen up what ever adhesive was used.

O Hell who am I kidding.

I’d grab a big old chisel the three pound short handle sledge and split that thing length ways.

Next I’m reaching for a couple chunks of burled walnut carving a custom void half in each piece.

Then I’d be trying to remember where I put the slow cure epoxy.

Couple days form now I’ve got my rasp and a mess of sandpaper out and we’re back at the vise.

Few hours latter I’m topping it off with a hand rubbed tung oil finish.

And that’s how you fix a loose blade in my house.
          Last edited by Nebraska; 11-03-2019, 05:49 PM.
          Ed
          Living in a pile of chips.
          https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Wood burner, next I suppose you’re going to suggest if you’re lost you stop and ask for directions.
            You must know my wife. I also assemble things without reading the instructions...lost cause I guess.
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Bob,, I would do like Merle suggested. The fit is so tight that it won,t take much to fill the void. That is if you want to keep that handle.
              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                You could try Thin CA Glue , that would run down thru the Voids and fill them . Merle
                Agreed!

Dave

Comment

If you really want it off so you can use epoxy to re-set it, put the blade horizontally in a vise with a 1/4 inch or so of the base sticking out - rest in the vise.. Take an ordinary crescent wrench and put in the 1/4 inch gap so you're holding it vertically. Now take a hammer and whack the crescent wrench to drive the handle off the blade. Polish old epoxy off the blade tang, then use your Dremel with a fine diamond burr to "sand" out the remains of the old epoxy from the handle. Once it's cleaned out, put some epoxy in it, liberally apply epoxy to the blade tang and push the handle back on.

Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

If you really want it off so you can use epoxy to re-set it, put the blade horizontally in a vise with a 1/4 inch or so of the base sticking out - rest in the vise.. Take an ordinary crescent wrench and put in the 1/4 inch gap so you're holding it vertically. Now take a hammer and whack the crescent wrench to drive the handle off the blade.
                    Claude,

That's what I've done with the Flexcut palm tools for rehandling. So, I take it it's the same square tab with a slotted hole in the center

Thanks
                    Bob L

Comment

Merle I like your idea because it's the least destructive solution. I'll dribble the CA down the sides of the blade and see what happens.

Thanks
                      Bob L

Comment

See if you can get some baking soda down the hole then drizzle the CA over it. That will fill the void and tighten the blade.

Comment

I had one come loose also. I used it until it came completely off the handle while carving, with the blade stuck in my workpiece. I fixed mine with epoxy.

If it comes loose again, I will drill a hole (if possible) and use a brass pin next time. I really do like those knives, so I am willing to work with them to make them work, if that makes sense. Plus, I can't afford a new knife right now. So we make do with what we have. Ymmv.

Comment

You can try to get glue into the voids but it's a lot more fun whittlin' yourself another handle out of some exotic wood. I've done just this many times and usually my retro turns out to be a favorite knife.

Comment

Well, the Krazy glue worked. I took a few light cuts with the knife and it seems tight. I had my doubts it would work it's way down the voids since a piece of paper wouldn't fit but I did it anyway. I'll give it a bit longer to set up and then give it a hard test.

Thanks for all your help!

Bob L

Comment

Working...
                              X