Band saw Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band saw Questions

I just purchased a new "larger" band saw, can now cut 6" deep.. For me that is a bonus, .. Question 1 is with 2 speeds, I think that if I run a faster speed it may "burn" the blade or wood" The blades I have are 3/8" x 6 TPI, 3/8 x 15 TPI and 1/8" x 6 TPI .
    2 , Now I do have from soft Poplar-Bass wood to dense, hard woods such as Oak- Iron wood. The soft run faster and hard slower?

I know all in this great forum have some notes of wisdom to share.
    Thanks all
    Chuck
    Chuck
    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Usually, the slower speed on band saws (even the woodworking ones) is to cut metal.

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
      Usually, the slower speed on band saws (even the woodworking ones) is to cut metal.
      Thanks BobD, My new one has two speeds, one speed is 1580 fpm and the other is 2650, my old one I had been using was turning at a break neck speed of 850, Doing a meanial ok but A) no power and would stop at the least about of pressure, B) no height 4.5" . And I haven't done any metal cutting yet..
      Chuck
      Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

Seems like this would be a good place to ask a bandsaw question in stead of starting a new thread. What size blade would you recommend for sawing carving blanks, and ripping basswood blocks down to a smaller size?

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
          Bob has it. I have both types. My metal is laying over - heavy and lazy and slow. My wood one is perky, upright and is a Delta 14" and fast. Burning wood is pinching the blade. I have wood and metal lathes as well as a small mill and two surface grinders. So when it is cool, I can work in the shop and make tools and toys. I have some big bowl wood drying out. Then at night when the sky is clear I take pictures of what is 'out there'.

Comment

Originally posted by rsting View Post
            Seems like this would be a good place to ask a bandsaw question in stead of starting a new thread. What size blade would you recommend for sawing carving blanks, and ripping basswood blocks down to a smaller size?
            I have a 3/16" 4TPI blade (Timberwolf) on my old 9 inch Craftsman bandsaw and a 1/4" 4TPI blade on my 14 inch Jet bandsaw (also Timberwolf) The smaller one cuts up to 3.5 inch basswood easily, and I have cut 3.5 inch walnut on it as well - just goes a little slower. I usually get my basswood from Heinecke as 3 x 6 x 12 inch blocks, then rip them down as needed for smaller carvings. I can use either saw for this.

Suffolk Machinery Corp. - Timber Wolf Band Saw Blades

Claude
            Last edited by Claude; 11-28-2019, 09:09 AM.
            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I use Timberwolf blades on my Delta. They are fantastic. They have hardened tips so they attack hard wood with ease and don't burn like common blades might.

Comment

A good book - paper back - is "Band Saw Handbook" by Mark Duginske. He goes through the whole ball of wax from crate to cutting different shapes. Teaches blades and what to do it they 'wander' and maybe fall off. I bought it years ago on Amazon, maybe there still or ebay resell (also on Amazon). It was < $20 when I bought it.

Comment

Her is another Timberwolf fan. My ShopSmith has a 11”Bandsaw and is variable speed. I use 3 blades. 3/16”,1/4”, and 1/2 for re-saving. Most of the time I use slower speeds. The only time I burn the wood is use to much pressure. Not letting the blade do the work. Fast rpms for straight cuts, like re-sawing. I have seen some helpful videos on YouTube also.

Comment

Personally, I'm partial to our Pegas Scroll Band Saw. I've reduced my roughing out time substantially since I started using that. I can get into tighter areas and cut around the perimeter of most items in one continuous cut, so it's easy to tape back together to cut the second view.

Comment

I've found I have less burn if I dress the rear of the blade by touching it with a stone while it is running. Be careful not to touch the teeth.

Comment

I use my 14" Delta wood since I got it for my lathe 25 years ago I suppose. The extended (might be taller) height moved the standard saw into a Bowl Saw. Cutting up logs and bowl blanks. Love that chunk of iron along with the 75 year old lathe.

Comment

Working...
                        X