Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet JWBS-12 bandsaw

Hey guys,

Kind of new into the hobby and looking for a band saw. I saw this 12" jet on Craigslist. The guy said he'd go down to 500 but the price seems kind of high. Although I have no clue or if this even a good model. I know they don't make 12" any more. Any help would be appreciated.
    ​​​​​​https://swmi.craigslist.org/tls/7069553100.html

Kyle

It depends on the size you want, but Harbor Freight sold a 9" band saw for somewhere around $100 several years ago. It is a bit "rough" but suits my needs. However, I'm going to sell it as most of my carving now doesn't require a band saw, so it all depends on what you want to carve.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I waited to see overnight what other opinions might be on your question. Several of this model were sold in the $300 range new, didn't have the fence though. Customer satisfaction mentioned a wimpy leg stand. I see from Amazon a 14" Jet 1hp model with a much better base can be bought for 719 includes freight. I worked with boys in our church and bought this bandsaw to use in their projects. I had used my craftsman with them earlier and there is no comparison. The jet is incredible to saw with, set up correctly. I think 500 is a bit too high and here is the address of the one on Amazon, hoping I am not breaking a rule with the moderators.
      https://www.amazon.com/708115K-JWBS-..._=sb_s_sparkle

[It's fine, Curly - you are providing info, not selling... Claude]
      Last edited by Claude; 02-26-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I thought I was reading around 300 new. Even the added fence and mobile cart didn't seem to make it worth that much for a 10+ yr old saw. I don't want a 100$ harbor freight piece. I'd like to be able to cut down 6" boards. I saw the jet one but was hesitant between that one and the grizzley 14" with the fence

Comment

rule of thumb on used equipment is half the original price MAX. I've never paid more. I've never asked for more.
          Buffalo Bif
          www.bflobif.com

Comment

It's easy for me to sit here and spend "your" money, but my advice is ; buy "new" and buy the best one you can afford. If you buy new you shouldn't have any problems with it, but if you do at least you'll have some sort of warranty to fall back on.
            Wayne
            If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

If you want to know the quality of band saw and choose the high quality, then Toolsbros is the best option you. It provides reviews of all band saw that help to choose quality bandsaw.

Comment

Jet is a pretty good brand and I believe it is the brand sold by Woodcraft stores. I don't think I would pay that much for a used 12" saw. I have a 14" Grizzly saw that I believe is around $500 new now. Depends on how big your blanks are will dictate how big a saw you need. I think I can cut up to 6" thick wood on my 14" saw.

I love my Grizzly, service is great, and good technical support if you need it. I just put new tires on my wheels since they old ones gave up the ghost. It is a good solid saw for the price.

Comment

I have an old Craftsman 12" with the aluminum table and a 14" Ricon. Both are good for what I use them for. A lot can be said for the set up and the quality of the blade.
                  Carve On,
                  Kadiddle

Comment

I have the 12". Works well but there's very limited adjustment for saw length. It's a design flaw. Probably why they stopped making them. I have to order blades to an exact length to work. Spent a lot of time on the phone with factory tech support before figuring this out. I think I paid around $300 or less for mine, brand new.
                    Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X