Hatchet use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatchet use

I was ask a question that I did not know how to answer. The question was, " How is a single bevel hatchet used for roughing out a carving. Is it meant to be used by the right hand to match the bevel or can it be used by either hand?" " What is the intended use of a single bevel hatchet?"
    Last edited by Cottonwood; 03-24-2020, 07:13 PM.

As a general rule, straight edges are difficult to use for carving if the corners enter the wood. The corners tend to deflect the cut to one side or the other. This tendency caused early carvers (Indian, or First Nations) to switch hatchet type tools to adzes. Even those became curved for effective use. I don't know of any carvers using single bevel hatchets to rough out carvings.

Comment

Sorry if this sounds vague. I made no notes.

There's a very ritualized, dogmatic style of spoon carving that you will find as an aspect of "bushcraft" across the EU.

To begin with the spoon blank must be roughed out with an axe.
      Something like the little Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet, Hultafors makes one as well, I recall.
      I remember somebody making noises about single bevel versions, like a big chisel but not the design of a slick.

Then you must use a "spoon knife", they are rarely ever called crooked knives.
      Designs like the Morakniv #162, #163 and #164.

That's close enough to my personal opinions here.
      Brian T

Comment

LOL! The intended use is for splitting firewood! I guess it depends on the size of the carving and it all depends on what tools you have for a particular job. I have seen spoon carvers doing it, usually with a stump for assistance, but a bandsaw is a lot quicker and more accurate. I guess it's a good skill to learn if you're stuck on an island with just a hatchet and a spoon knife, but I would probably just eat with my fingers then.
        'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
        http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Not quite. It's a very specific style of bushcraft carving.
          You carve spoons only and you must use particular tools to do it.
          Five miles in from the middle of nowhere, can't find the plug-in for the band saw.

Just yesterday, I ran across some Youtubes of this style of spoon carving.

No tent but a hammock. Get the fire going in the twig stove.
          Sit there and whack out a spoon.
          Not something that I have any interest or appetite to ever be doing.
          Brian T

Comment

Generally a single bevel hatchet is used like a plane or chisel for hewing a flat surface or roughing out shapes on a log. I have seen some carvers who were really skilled with one do some amazing work.

Comment

Working...
            X