New OCC Knife Ordered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New OCC Knife Ordered

I have been thinking I needed another OCC knife with a bit shorter blade than my current OCC Medium Detail knife. Looked at a few online sources and the selection was not very good. Last night I went to the OCC website and clicked on their list of dealers and tried a few. I clicked on Hummul Woodcarving and discovered a huge inventory of just about everything OCC makes or made. Decent prices, too. Bought a couple knives and thought "we'll see if they really have their stuff together."

This morning I checked my email and I had a shipment notice with a tracking number. Holy Moly, that's quick.

I have no financial interest in them. Just noting their quick response. I'm impressed. I don't remember hearing them mentioned here.

I am hoping this will quell my knife acquisition syndrome for a while.
    HonketyHank toot toot

Wishful thinking, HH. Bag of smoke. I thought that I was really done with buying tools or making tools. Then, this other thing happens that I can't resist.
    Brian T

Comment

A good knife is a lot cheaper than a good mandolin. Thank goodness.

I just discovered that Hummul Woodcarving is the same as The Woodcraft Shop. Funny that they have two names and two websites.
      honketyhank
      No facebook, no twitter
      Last edited by honketyhank; 06-05-2020, 02:48 PM.
      HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Hard as it sometimes is to believe, product marketing can show brand loyalty
        even if product quality is sketchy.

I like the little outfits where you can name the bladesmith.

I was in a fruit jam factory here in western Canada .
        The "kitchen" was upstairs and gravity fed the canning lines.
        Three different brands of orange marmalade were being filled from a single service pipe from the kitchen.
        The orange fruit feed stock was from frozen concentrate from a Germany company in Brazil.
        Brian T

Comment

Brian, your comment is so true. As I've mentioned here before, another of my hobbies is repairing/restoring antique clocks, but I also come across modern ones of various and sundry names, the works generally being made by one of two German manufacturers despite the names on the clocks; the exception being ones sold by stores like Walmart, Sears, etc., that invariably have Asian works and very regal names.

The commonality is that all the modern works are vastly inferior to the antique ones that are still functioning 100-200 years after they were made.

Another example here in south Louisiana is a bakery/"bread factory"...my son-in-law insisted that the best bread available is Evangeline Maid, much superior to another local brand, Bunny Bread. He was embarrassed to find out they came off the same line and went into the two different bags.

Sort of disillusioning.
          Arthur

Comment

I had a good friend in the food products business. One of their major products was cooking oil. They would receive railroad tank cars full of vegetable oil and repackage it in 2 and 5 gallon cans for restaurants, etc. They had 29 different labels for the oil, in various languages and ethnic names. Their Chinese customers insisted on the Chinese oil, and the Armenians wanted only the Armenian oil.
            I've noticed that the chip carving knives shown in the Pfeil catalog and the Woodcraft Supply website are identical except for the name stamped on the handle(s).

Comment

Originally posted by honketyhank View Post
              A good knife is a lot cheaper than a good mandolin. Thank goodness.

I just discovered that Hummul Woodcarving is the same as The Woodcraft Shop. Funny that they have two names and two websites.
              They bought out The Woodcraft Shop when Larry Yudis passed away, but kept both names because they were well known and respected. They did move all the inventory to one location though.
              'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
              http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks, Hank, and I've been buying most of my knives from Mountain Wood Carvers. I'm familiar with Hummul but haven't bought anything yet. Of course, I also buy some off Amazon. I'm partial to OCC and now have a few Drake knives I like a lot.

Please give us your thoughts when you get your delivery.
                Bill
                Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Being the lousy carver that I am, one knife just doesn't do the job. I usually end up with four or five on the table in front of. I started out with Flexcut years ago, graduated to Mike Shipley (OCCT), bought a couple of Allen Goodman's, and finally ended up a Helvi fan. Watching Helvi videos taught me the value of an upsweep blade. And Ironically one of my favorites is the OCCT 1 3/4" Knife Upsweep Blade 5" Handle. It cuts through wood like going through butter and it's extremely handing at rolling out of a cut.

Comment

I'll agree with Eddy about the upsweep blades. I have a similar one to his from Helvie, a Goodman upsweep, a Helvie small detail upsweep, a Helvie micro- knife with upsweep blade. My go-to knives.

Claude
                    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I have purchased quite a few items from Hummul. They carry a good selection and easy to order from. I would caution that if you don’t get a shipment notification in a few days give them a call. They were holding up my last order because one of the items was not in stock and made no effort to inform me or to ask what I wanted to do. On the other hand I had a similar situation with an order from Greg Dorrance and he gave me a call.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
                        Being the lousy carver that I am, one knife just doesn't do the job. I usually end up with four or five on the table in front of. I started out with Flexcut years ago, graduated to Mike Shipley (OCCT), bought a couple of Allen Goodman's, and finally ended up a Helvi fan. Watching Helvi videos taught me the value of an upsweep blade. And Ironically one of my favorites is the OCCT 1 3/4" Knife Upsweep Blade 5" Handle. It cuts through wood like going through butter and it's extremely handing at rolling out of a cut.

Eddie, recently bought one just like yours. I have some good knives and this one is at the top.

Comment

It's a real satisfaction to discover the knife that works best for you.

Comment

Takes at least a few to figure that one out, Pallin!
                            Over years, I've bought a few consignments of carving tools to get a few things that I really needed. Accordingly, I turned around and sold off all the tools that I believed I'd never use. Ironically, I have found myself replacing those!
                            Brian T

Comment

Well, I guess I oughta post a photo of the two I bought - the 1" detail and the 1.5" straight. Of the two, I like the 1" detail a lot more than I expected I would. I thought it would be more or less of a specialty kind of knife but I find myself using it a lot. And the handles are great - not collectors' items like maybe a Helvie, but very comfortable in my hand.

The only problem I have is that I do not like the grinding marks on the faces of the bevels. I have been working to polish them off. I think I need to drop down to a 600 grit as it is taking forever with the 1000.

New OCC's 2.jpg
                              HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Working...
                              X