Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modified 2nd hand store knife.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Modified 2nd hand store knife.

    I bought this in a 2nd hand store for a few bucks. Someone at one time was using this as some sort of carving knife. I have a Dremel tool a friend gave me, so I decided to have at it. It's a little too thick and wide for my liking. It's sharp and carves well, though. Maybe I can use it to carve tree limbs or as a utility knife.
    Attached Files
    Anders.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

  • #2
    Looks like a second life for some broken kitchen knife.
    They do come in handy, as you say, as a simple utility knife.
    Might be fantastic for peeling oranges.

    My D2 gave me a broken 4-star Henkel with maybe 2" blade.
    Some day, I'll think of a use and a profile and tune it up.
    Brian T

    Comment


    • #3
      As a guy who has a love of tinkering things, let me say GREAT job. I think there is an added enjoyment in working with something you’ve had a hand in creating, well done.

      You mention the blade being too thick. Wondering if you had taken the extra metal out of the spine would you have ended up with a thinner blade?
      Ed
      https://www.ebay.com/sch/bmart50/m.h...1&_ipg=&_from=
      Local club
      https://www.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

      Comment


      • #4
        I see the handle is stamped "HARRIS - Cedar Rapids, IA" & it's riveted to the blade. Not that this is important for adapting it for wood carving. The major difference from its use as a kitchen knife will likely be the length of time in your hand. That may be the reason many carving knives have ergonomically shaped handles. The process of modifying a knife for one's intended use is something every woodcarver should experience.

        Handles.jpg

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
          As a guy who has a love of tinkering things, let me say GREAT job. I think there is an added enjoyment in working with something you’ve had a hand in creating, well done.

          You mention the blade being too thick. Wondering if you had taken the extra metal out of the spine would you have ended up with a thinner blade?
          That's a good idea. I will have to give that a try when I come across another similar knife. Thanks!
          Anders.
          https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pallin View Post
            I see the handle is stamped "HARRIS - Cedar Rapids, IA" & it's riveted to the blade. Not that this is important for adapting it for wood carving. The major difference from its use as a kitchen knife will likely be the length of time in your hand. That may be the reason many carving knives have ergonomically shaped handles. The process of modifying a knife for one's intended use is something every woodcarver should experience.

            Handles.jpg
            I don't think I will be using that knife too much, it's too short, thick, and wide. It'll be a good camping or branch carving knife though. The picture below is the first knife I ever modified for carving. It's also my favorite. I bought it in an antique store on the Oregon coast for a few bucks. I think it was used as a fillet knife. I had to cut a few inches off of it. I wish I had a picture of what it looked like when I got it. It was a mess. I love the handle on it. It fits my hand perfectly and the wood has that soft well worn feel of something that has been used for years. The second knife is a flex it detail knife that is my other go to carving knife. I like the handle on that one too.
            I would like to try an OCCT knife next. Thanks!
            Attached Files
            Anders.
            https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

            Comment


            • #7
              I have big hands and long fingers. It is rare to find a knife with a factory handle which fits my hands.
              I did experiments with handle sizing and factory blades, mostly farrier's hoof trimming knife blades.
              Only took half a dozen to figure it out. Same for elbow and D adze handles. 7/8" x 7/8".

              When you say it's good "in the hand", I understand exactly. This one but not that one.

              I encourage everybody to bulk up or shave down factory handles to suit yourself.
              I do not believe in one size fits all.
              Brian T

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                I encourage everybody to bulk up or shave down factory handles to suit yourself.
                I do not believe in one size fits all.
                The blade in this knife takes up the full length & width of the handle, so modifying its shape is difficult.

                Comment


                • #9
                  That's been my justification for bashing off the factory handles or scales and making my own that fit me.
                  The first step was to carve some prototype handles. Don't fall in love with them. Keep shaving until you really can tell that they are too skinny.
                  A few blades were reshaped with a Dremel and cut-off wheels. Most satisfactory.
                  Brian T

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Carving is a special thing for me, especially when I'm using a knife the I made and it is working nicely. good job.
                    . . .JoeB

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      How about one of these.
                      8E724E4E-3614-4CDF-B5F9-E894713FAC1C.jpeg
                      Ed
                      https://www.ebay.com/sch/bmart50/m.h...1&_ipg=&_from=
                      Local club
                      https://www.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Always nice to fashion something useful and repurposed, Anders. Fun project.




                        Bill
                        Living among knives and fire.

                        http://www.westernwoodartist.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
                          Nice. Did you make that? Looks great! I've been wanting to try an upsweep blade. I want to get OCC Tool's version, except I can't find it. You can't order from there website for some reason.
                          Anders.
                          https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 4ND3R5 View Post

                            Nice. Did you make that? Looks great! I've been wanting to try an upsweep blade. I want to get OCC Tool's version, except I can't find it. You can't order from there website for some reason.

                            https://www.facebook.com/beckwitharts/ Youngsville Pennsylvania he sells some of his hand forged tool trough eBay. I have a couple of his gouges they’re first rate tools and works of art.

                            I know lots like OCCT’s stuff I tried a couple and was disappointed in the edge retention on both tools. The cutting edge actually rolled over when carving hard bits in aspen.

                            If you like a flexible blade I’d suggest shopping up a used Helvie on eBay

                            If you like a stiffer blade Drake is another US manufacturer that makes real good knives.

                            MTCW
                            Ed
                            https://www.ebay.com/sch/bmart50/m.h...1&_ipg=&_from=
                            Local club
                            https://www.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nebraska View Post


                              https://www.facebook.com/beckwitharts/ Youngsville Pennsylvania he sells some of his hand forged tool trough eBay. I have a couple of his gouges they’re first rate tools and works of art.

                              I know lots like OCCT’s stuff I tried a couple and was disappointed in the edge retention on both tools. The cutting edge actually rolled over when carving hard bits in aspen.

                              If you like a flexible blade I’d suggest shopping up a used Helvie on eBay

                              If you like a stiffer blade Drake is another US manufacturer that makes real good knives.

                              MTCW
                              Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard good things about Helvie....... I just can't get over how ugly their handles are.
                              Anders.
                              https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X