• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Claude
    Super Mod Louisiana

• Claude
    replied
    Originally posted by 4ND3R5 View Post

Haha no, that one is nice. I am just not a fan of the technicolor handles. I'll have to take a closer look at their website.
    Helvie will use whatever wood you ask for on the handle. The multi-color wood is their signature wood, but they also offer plain handles in all the same shapes. Look through their "signature series" knives - most have plain handles.

Claude

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    Western Washington

• 4ND3R5
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian T View Post
    Ugly? Ugly? Have you had a good look at the goofy handles on Moor large chip carving knives?
    I have one that is my "go to" knife for incising designs in form-line carving. Why I have not snapped off that blade, I do not know. Very secure to hold and lean HARD on that blade.
    You win. Those look like they are made from a melted down plastic garbage can.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T

• Brian T
    replied
    Ugly? Ugly? Have you had a good look at the goofy handles on Moor large chip carving knives?
    I have one that is my "go to" knife for incising designs in form-line carving. Why I have not snapped off that blade, I do not know. Very secure to hold and lean HARD on that blade.

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    Western Washington

• 4ND3R5
    replied
    Originally posted by Nebraska View Post

Don’t think mine is ugly?

88576DCD-2E99-47CD-AE65-D7C4690D656F.jpeg
    Haha no, that one is nice. I am just not a fan of the technicolor handles. I'll have to take a closer look at their website.

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    AKA Ed

• Nebraska
    replied

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard good things about Helvie....... I just can't get over how ugly their handles are.
    Don’t think mine is ugly?

88576DCD-2E99-47CD-AE65-D7C4690D656F.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Just Carving
    WhittleBear Carver

• Just Carving
    replied
    I've been wanting to try an upsweep blade. I want to get OCC Tool's version, except I can't find it.
    https://bigfootcarvingtools.com/coll...C-Tools+Knives

I ordered a knife from them a few months back and I got it in a few days. It's a great knife. Sharp. Does the job I want it to.

BobL

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    Western Washington

• 4ND3R5
    replied

https://www.facebook.com/beckwitharts/ Youngsville Pennsylvania he sells some of his hand forged tool trough eBay. I have a couple of his gouges they’re first rate tools and works of art.

I know lots like OCCT’s stuff I tried a couple and was disappointed in the edge retention on both tools. The cutting edge actually rolled over when carving hard bits in aspen.

If you like a flexible blade I’d suggest shopping up a used Helvie on eBay

If you like a stiffer blade Drake is another US manufacturer that makes real good knives.

MTCW
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard good things about Helvie....... I just can't get over how ugly their handles are.

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    AKA Ed

• Nebraska
    replied

Nice. Did you make that? Looks great! I've been wanting to try an upsweep blade. I want to get OCC Tool's version, except I can't find it. You can't order from there website for some reason.

https://www.facebook.com/beckwitharts/ Youngsville Pennsylvania he sells some of his hand forged tool trough eBay. I have a couple of his gouges they’re first rate tools and works of art.

I know lots like OCCT’s stuff I tried a couple and was disappointed in the edge retention on both tools. The cutting edge actually rolled over when carving hard bits in aspen.

If you like a flexible blade I’d suggest shopping up a used Helvie on eBay

If you like a stiffer blade Drake is another US manufacturer that makes real good knives.

MTCW

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    Western Washington

• 4ND3R5
    replied
    Nice. Did you make that? Looks great! I've been wanting to try an upsweep blade. I want to get OCC Tool's version, except I can't find it. You can't order from there website for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    Senior

• woodburner807
    replied
    Always nice to fashion something useful and repurposed, Anders. Fun project.

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    AKA Ed

• Nebraska
    replied
    How about one of these.
    8E724E4E-3614-4CDF-B5F9-E894713FAC1C.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Carving is a special thing for me, especially when I'm using a knife the I made and it is working nicely. good job.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T

• Brian T
    replied
    That's been my justification for bashing off the factory handles or scales and making my own that fit me.
    The first step was to carve some prototype handles. Don't fall in love with them. Keep shaving until you really can tell that they are too skinny.
    A few blades were reshaped with a Dremel and cut-off wheels. Most satisfactory.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    Senior Member - Ventura

• pallin
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian T View Post
    I encourage everybody to bulk up or shave down factory handles to suit yourself.
    I do not believe in one size fits all.
    The blade in this knife takes up the full length & width of the handle, so modifying its shape is difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T

• Brian T
    replied
    I have big hands and long fingers. It is rare to find a knife with a factory handle which fits my hands.
    I did experiments with handle sizing and factory blades, mostly farrier's hoof trimming knife blades.
    Only took half a dozen to figure it out. Same for elbow and D adze handles. 7/8" x 7/8".

When you say it's good "in the hand", I understand exactly. This one but not that one.

I encourage everybody to bulk up or shave down factory handles to suit yourself.
    I do not believe in one size fits all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X