In Channel Gouges for Shrink Pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Channel Gouges for Shrink Pots

I'm looking to pick up a couple of in channel gouges for making shrink pots and would like to buy either Pfiel or Two Cherries or the like. Can anyone point me to a website that has delivery to Canada for such and item?

Thanks,

Kraken Fan #69

In true Internet fashion I found the answer 2 min after posting the question after an hour of searching. Looks like Two Cherries USA will ship to Canada.

Kraken Fan #69

Comment

Originally posted by KrakenFan69 View Post
      In true Internet fashion I found the answer 2 min after posting the question after an hour of searching. Looks like Two Cherries USA will ship to Canada.

Kraken Fan #69
      https://www.woodcarvingbiz.com/

Rick Webie
      Canada

KF not that it’s any of my business but I found myself wondering. Why an In-cannel gouge?
      Last edited by Nebraska; 08-31-2020, 06:47 AM.
      Ed
      Living in a pile of chips.
      https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood
      https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Pfeil does not offer any "in-cannel" gouges unless you count the dogleg chisel. It would be very difficult to re-grind and switch the bevel of a "normal" gouge. Like Nebraska, I can see no reason to use an in-cannel tool for carving a shrink pot. It is a challenge that calls for a lot of knowledge of woods & their drying behaviors,

Comment

A word about "shrink pots" - these are a whimsical challenge like carving a ball-in-cage or wooden chain. It is a cylindrical form of green wood in which you fit a bottom of dry wood. As the cylinder of wet wood dries, it tightens around the bottom. Or, it cracks and breaks apart if you haven't figured the shrinkage correctly. The logical way to form the shrink pot would be on a lathe, not by carving, but if you want a real challenge start with a non-circular log.

Comment

Kraken Fan #69
            But the Two Cherries USA site does not show any "in channel" carving tools.

Comment

ok ok. in cannel. lol you got me. As far as why? I assume because the won't "dive" into the wood and should cut straight down. The you tube vids i watched, that was the process and the style of chisel used. Looked like fun and I figured he knew more than me so...

Oh, while I do have a small lathe, it has never been set up and my gouges are crap and i really have little interest in using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI522RsVBYA

skip to: 15:20 to hear him explaining about the "in channel" gouges lol

Kraken Fan #69
              Last edited by KrakenFan69; 08-31-2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Dish 04.jpg
                This was no shrink pot but the plan is the same.
                After the drillings, hack out the wood web with a mallet and a regular gouge.
                Go back into it with a crooked knife to carve sideways into the wall to clean it up.

Hook 013.jpg
                Brian T

Comment

I'm looking to pick up a couple of in channel gouges for making shrink pots and would like to buy either Pfiel or Two Cherries or the like. Can anyone point me to a website that has delivery to Canada for such and item?

Thanks,

Kraken Fan #69
                  FYI cancel gouges currently on eBay under the following heading.

Vintage BUCK Wood Carving Chisel Crank Neck 3/8 Inch Inside Grind Gouge 9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BUC...Condition=3000

Ed
                  Living in a pile of chips.
                  https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood
                  https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Interesting! That Buck Bros. chisel profile doesn't match either the London Pattern or Swiss system. A #9 would be a half circle.

Comment

Carving sideways with a crooked knife cannot be done with a gouge.
                      Very smooth surfaces are the result.

A used worn-down farrier's hoof-trimming knife might set you back all of $5.00.
                      Those are new Mora #171 in my yellow cedar dish. Left & right pair. Maybe $35.00 each.
                      Brian T

Comment

Bowls of all shapes and sizes....go power with one die grinder these bits are awesome for rough out....I drill the holes and clean it out with these. Sabruutooth buzz out bits.... just an alternative only drawback is that you have to wear the killer mask ... just joking rs=w_600,h_600.jpg

Comment

An interest in power carving actually lead me to traditional carving and then to green wood/bushcraft carving. I just want to do it all!

Kraken Fan #69

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post

https://www.woodcarvingbiz.com/

Rick Webie
                            Canada

KF not that it’s any of my business but I found myself wondering. Why an In-cannel gouge?
                            Wow!
                            I have never seen my name spelled like THAT before!
                            It is actually spelled "Wiebe"

Comment

I have made lots of shrink pots/boxes, and it isn't all that hard, but just a little tedious.

Start with green wood - freshly cut from a live tree. For initial efforts - 3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter.

The whole thing can be done with a Mora knife, (I have done so several times), but drilling out the center of the little log with a spade bit will speed up the process. If you have a 1 1/2 inch bit, or something in that size range you'll be good. Forsner bits work too, but not as good as spade bits on green end grain. A 9/15 or 11/15 gouge will help too. Again exact size is unimportant. Whittling away the inside with a sharp knife is kind of fun.

Just make the log into a cylinder with walls about 1/4 inch thick and as even as possible. Then make the groove all around the inside about 3/8 inch or so in from one end. Make the groove about 1/8 inch wide and a little more than 1/16 deep. It doesn't have to be really neat, but it is always better if it is.

DO NOT let this cylinder dry out. Put it in a plastic bag if going in for lunch.

Make a little disc out of dry wood that is just a teensy bit bigger than the inside size of the cylinder. This should be about 3/16 - 1/4 inch thick with the edges shaved down to fit in the groove.

Now pop this disc into the groove. This will take some fooling and fitting, but once it is in, just leave the whole business somewhere out of the sun to dry.

Sometimes the bark is left on. Sometimes a lid is made once everything drys out. All kids of carving can be applied.

I made one for a coffee mug once. Total disaster. Poured the hot coffee in, and Pop! - it split wide open and the coffee was on the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X