OCCT Upsweep knife disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCCT Upsweep knife disappointment

I've been wanting to try an upsweep knife, so I ordered an OCCT and got it in the mail today. Very disappointed!
    I don't know much about upsweep blades, but thought it weird that it had a chisel grind to it ( one side flat and the other with a bevel). It also came with tooling marks still on the blade. I tested it on a piece of scrap basswood and a few cuts in and the edge rolled. I sharpened it and tested it again and the same thing happened. I am super stubborn.... I repeated this process several times over a few hour period and each time the edge chipped and rolled. What a piece of junk and waste of a few hours! I should have listened to Ed when he said he had problems with his. I thought it would be better than a Flexcut, even though I have never had problems with a Flexcut or the old fishing knife I've re-profiled into a carving knife. I guess I'll be getting a Helvie as soon they become available.....I don't even care if I get a pink and purple handle as long as the blade is good.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Anders.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

Originally posted by 4ND3R5 View Post
    I ordered an OCCT...
    ...one side flat and the other with a bevel.... It also came with tooling marks still on the blade.
    ....each time the edge chipped and rolled.....
    You didn't say where you ordered the knife from. Tool marks and different tool grind on sides does not sound like a new knife to me. The edge chipping and rolling sounds like the steel has been annealed (lost it's temper). This is a common problem when someone, unfamiliar with sharpening carving tools (or other high-carbon tools), uses something like a high-speed grinder and gets the steel too hot (blueing the edge, tip, etc.).

If you purchased directly from OCC, this is unacceptable. They offer a 100% workmanship guarantee. You need to contact them and get this exchanged. I am not affiliated with them in any way, but have owned and used many of their tools and knives and have only found these kinds of issues on used tools, and never a new one.
    ....Dave
    Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
    www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

I agree with Dave...a quick call to Mike Shipley and he should take care of this. His tools are the best in my opinion, of most anything out there. That is not to say one doesn't slip by from time to time. He stands behind his tools, period...

Comment

Thanks Dave and Tbox. I will contact him.
        Dave- I ordered the knife new from a vendor listed on his site. I couldn't find anywhere on his site where you could order directly from him.

I don't think the steel was tempered at all.
        Anders.

Comment

Yes I agree, give Mike a call and talk to him, no matter if it came from him or a vendor, he still made it.
          Mark N. Akers
          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

I had a blade on one of my OCCT knives snap in two. I contacted Mike Shipley and had a new knife sent to me, free of charge. With that said, I have the same knife as you and it's a work horse. I love the blade configuration. It also has what you call tooling marks on it but that's indicative of every Mike Shipley and OCCT knife I've ever bought. I was told it has something to do with the original metal stock.

Comment

I contacted OCCT via email. They said the knife made it past them without getting the final polish. After some back and forth and me explaining that a missed final polish wouldn't have anything to do with the blade being so brittle they agreed to send me a new knife. I have to mail the old one back to them though. I'm grateful they are sending me a new knife and hope it works well.....but mailing and paying for shipping is a hassle when I wasn't at fault.
              Anders.

Comment

[QUOTE=Eddy-Smiles;n1186071][SIZE=24px][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I had a blade on one of my OCCT knives snap in two. I contacted Mike Shipley and had a new knife sent to me, free of charge. With that said, I have the same knife as you and it's a work horse. E]

Eddy does your knife have a chisel grind to it? I don't know much about upsweep knifes, but thought it weird that mine did.
                Thanks.
                Anders.

Comment

Maybe the seller sold you a used knife? IMHO, I don’t think Mike would have missed the imperfections!

Dave

Comment

[QUOTE=4ND3R5;n1186074]
                    Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
                    [SIZE=24px][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I had a blade on one of my OCCT knives snap in two. I contacted Mike Shipley and had a new knife sent to me, free of charge. With that said, I have the same knife as you and it's a work horse. E]

Eddy does your knife have a chisel grind to it? I don't know much about upsweep knifes, but thought it weird that mine did.
                    Thanks.
                    Chisel Grind, no! Mine has a standard flat grind.

Comment

[QUOTE=Eddy-Smiles;n1186219]
                      Originally posted by 4ND3R5 View Post

Chisel Grind, no! Mine has a standard flat grind.
                      Thanks. The one I got did. I thought it was really weird.
                      Anders.

Comment

You have much more patience than me. The right thing for them to do would be to send you a prepaid envelope with the return address printed on it. This should not cost you anymore time or money IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                        X