Homemade knife set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade knife set

Here are some more carving knifes I just finished up. The one with the reddish handle I made about a month ago, but never finished until now. The knives are: 1 1/2" straight, 1 3/4" straight, 2" straight (up until here these blades were made from floor scraper blades), 2" upsweep ( blade cut from an old knife), 2" straight (reddish handle. Made from an old sawzall blade). The light colored wood came from hickory floor scraps. You can see I plugged one of the floor scrap's groove with a darker colored wood, so it would be long enough to use. All the blades sharpened well and cut well. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Anders.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

More pics.
    Attached Files
    4ND3R5
    Western Washington
    Last edited by 4ND3R5; 01-02-2021, 07:44 PM.
    Anders.

Comment

Always a fun project and fun to carve with something you’ve made.

Comment

And you will be grabbing your knives when carving, If not satisfied, they'll get change up. How do I know, you can guess. Did you have to do any forging or were you super slow with cutoff disk & belt sanders. Good looking set.
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
          And you will be grabbing your knives when carving, If not satisfied, they'll get change up. How do I know, you can guess. Did you have to do any forging or were you super slow with cutoff disk & belt sanders. Good looking set.
          No forging. I used a cut off wheel on my dremal. The floor scrapers already had bevel on them so I just touched then up on the stones. The sawzall blade I roughed in on the belt sander and finished off on the stones. I watched videos of Rich from Helvie making knives after I made these. I know why he sharpenes the knife first and then does the back profile.....less chance of burning the tip. I'm going to do it his way next time. Thanks.
          Anders.

Comment

Nice neat workmanship on the knives Anders. You will love using them.
            If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

What a pleasure to see some "artisan" wood carving knives. Thank you.
              I sure hope this encourages others to take a crack at making a knife.

Just bump and grind, a bit at a time and the blade will not get cooked.
              Thank you for noting the variety of steels selected.
              Brian T

Comment

Looks awesome! I am actually looking into getting a 1 x 30 belt sander in order to shape Personna scraper blades and dull jigsaw and Sawzall blades. If it takes I'm sure I'll end up with a Burr King and Forge in the future lol

Thanks for the pics.

Mr. Tom Ellis enlightened me to the Personna knives.

Thanks to Brian T I have orders from Lee Valley for crooked knife blades.

I've only carved a few spoons and some ornaments so far, but the tool making along with the carving have me hooked. Hopefully by the end of 2021 I have some eye candy to share. Thanks to everyone on here for the ideas and inspiration!

Comment

Just remember, slow and easy, with water close by, if it turns blue, that part should be removed. Tom Ellis makes a great sharpener for the final work.
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Persona just happened to be the brand of scraper blades I used. That's what they had at home depot. Set of 5 8" long blades for about 8 bucks. I was thinking I may get this. https://www.amazon.com/Bucktool-Sand.../dp/B07ZQ6LCK8
                    Thanks.
                    4ND3R5
                    Western Washington
                    Last edited by 4ND3R5; 01-04-2021, 10:08 PM.
                    Anders.

Comment

That Bucktool grinder looks legit. Thanks for the advice on going slow. I actually just obtained a knife massager last month!

Comment

Sharpening crooked knives is the opposite of sharpening the usual knives and gouges.
                        The tool is stationary and the abrasive moves. I rest the knife over my knee and go to it.
                        It takes some time to become proficient.

I have all the Lee Valley Haida style crooked knife blades. They're OK. Made by Crescent Knife Works in Vancouver BC. There are several other very good bladesmiths in BC: Cariboo and Jamie Sharp. In Washington state, Kestrel and North Bay Forge.

1. I'm convinced that they all have the expectation that you will put the edge of your choice on the blade. Don't expect "carving sharp" too often, straight out of the box.

2. It's important to make your own handles and haft the blades to get just what you want.
                        4ND3R5 shows us fine examples above.
                        The PacNW First Nations blades are generally surface hafted.
                        Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Kager View Post
                          That Bucktool grinder looks legit. Thanks for the advice on going slow. I actually just obtained a knife massager last month!
                          How do you like the knife massager? How much was it? How big of a knife can you sharpen? Thanks.
                          Anders.

Comment

Just PM Tom Ellis his is a member & an easy to talk to fella.

. . .JoeB

Comment

The knife massager is great, only used it a couple times so far so probably need a little practice. He has one up on Ebay right now, probably a bit cheaper to buy direct from him. I'll attach the link so that you can see the size. I think it's a 6 inch wheel. Joe Paul is definitely right though. Tom is easy to talk to and a great guy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomz-Knife-...UAAOSw5dNWqocF

Comment

Working...
                              X