Made some more adzes and some knives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made some more adzes and some knives.

More adzes fresh from the forge! Well, grinder to be exact. I think I am already getting the hang of this. The shape is right where I want it.

Took advice and thinned down the shank more on the wider ones. Ended up using the angle grinder wheel to remove some of the bulk of the metal and burning a hole in my shoe from the sparks. May have gotten a tad bit enthusiastic with the grinder! They sure can move some metal. Still narrowing down exactly what tool is best for each stage. After the angle grinder the 6x48 belt sander takes over to clean up, with ceramic belts and a 2HP 3600RPM motor I upgraded it with, from the stock 3/4HP 1800RPM.

Still have not yet gotten around to making handles for them, but will look around for some maple on Monday.

0109211404b_HDRRotated.jpg

Also made these as a request for a friend:

0109211407a_HDR.jpg
    Might make more of them for sale, not sure if anyone would be interested but it was kinda fun making them. a lot of hand grinding since I didn't think I could do a clean enough bevel on the grinder. Need to buy some more diamond hones if I am going to do more of that, mine are getting worn out. Not something I would want to make a lot of but an interesting change of pace.

What are your thoughts on those blades?
    https://www.Jamie-Sharp.com/ Straight and curved wood carving knives

Looking good. I've never tried an adze blade on a y stick. I've been watching videos on them lately. I'd like to give it a try.

Comment

What are you calling the battle axe style blades? I have difficulty picturing how they might be used for woodcarving.

Comment

I like those adze blades. I have always liked the design where the edge is a little bit flared wider than the shank. Just so long as the corners don't dig in. I'm not looking for any more adze blades beyond the ones that I use now. I doubt that I'll ever do pieces big enough to justify a texturing adze.

The axe blades are sort of cool. Almost froe-like. Might work OK for slipping the bark and sap wood off western red cedar log and shake block pieces. I find it far quicker to use a 15" froe and split everything off.
        Of course, that isn't as fast as a Log Wizard but far better to do indoors!
        Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
          What are you calling the battle axe style blades? I have difficulty picturing how they might be used for woodcarving.
          No idea really. I think they are used nearly parallel to the wood in a near scraping motion to flatten the work. Or you can use the tip to cut detail lines. The little groove in the back is a perfect place to rest your thumb for more control and your finger sits nicely in that groove under the blade.

Comment

Put some wood scales on the shanks. Slice and dice to perfection in the kitchen,
            a bit like an Ulu or a Umialik. I have 5 cleavers. Most handy.
            Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
              Put some wood scales on the shanks. Slice and dice to perfection in the kitchen,
              a bit like an Ulu or a Umialik. I have 5 cleavers. Most handy.
              Yea someone I showed it to mentioned it looked just like a skinning knife. Plan was to add a maple handle, customer wants a 11~12" long one for two handed use.

Comment

Working...
              X