knife handle epoxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knife handle epoxy

Anyone ever try Bob Smith epoxy glue? Thanks.

Rob

No, when I was making knives, I just used the regular 5 minute epoxy...brand really didn't matter. Lately, I have been using the Gorilla Glue brand with good results.

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post
      No, when I was making knives, I just used the regular 5 minute epoxy...brand really didn't matter. Lately, I have been using the Gorilla Glue brand with good results.
      Thanks. I have been using jb weld 5 min. Works well. But, get crystalization and failure sometimes. Think that is when not get correct equal amounts to mix.

Rob

Comment

Rob, I use it all the time on my knives. Seems to work just fine. Clean up works well with denatured alcohol. I also don’t like the hypodermic type applicators, as they are hard to get equal amounts on small batches.
        Last edited by Tom Ellis; 01-27-2021, 01:26 PM.
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
          Rob, I use it all the time on my knives. Seems to work just fine. Clean up works well with denatured alcohol. I also don’t like the hypodermic type applicators, as they are hard to get equal amounts on small batches.
          Tom,

I think that it is the applicators. It is hard to get equal amounts. I think I will get the two bottle kind that you see in Lowe's and Home Depot.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

I use Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy for two reasons.

First, it is supposed to be stronger than 5 min.

Second, sometimes times it’s nice to have a little more time to get things clamped and check that everything lined up.
            Ed
            https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood
            Local club
            https://www.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

Comment

Making a crooked knife, I dry-fit the blade into the relief cut.
              I like A+B JBWeld epoxy. It has steel powder and powdered limestone in it = hard.

The open time is less than 5 minutes but I get ready with no hesitations.

Tomorrow, I trim the squeeze-out with a junk carpenter's chisel.
              Whip with #18 tarred nylon seine twine to look pretty.
              When I have used #18 yellow survey cord from the hardware store,
              I slather up the whipped finish with carpenter's glue to stick everything together.

I don't think that I'm easy on edges when carving as I know I can fix them if I have to.
              With all the pulling and tugging and slicing over the last 8(?) years,I have yet to have a homemade knife come apart. Quite pleased about that.
              Brian T

Comment

I use JB Weld even on gouges that I beat with a mallet on a regular basis. Never had one fail. Never heard of Bob Smith epoxy...but then I've been so satisfied over the years with JB that I don't even look any longer.
                Arthur

Comment

I have used both bob smith 30 minute and g-flex epoxy, as well as E6000.

I like g-flex epoxy WAY more. thin metal like a knife blade is very flexible compared to the bulk of a wood handle, and bob smith 30 minute epoxy is very brittle while g-flex is flexible. E6000 had problems ever fully setting in voids even after 24 hours and was horrible.

You can test the two by smearing them on some paper and trying to bend after they set. bob smith instantly cracks once it flexes while g-flex can be bent quite a bit with no apparent damage.

Also, bob smith 30 minute epoxy starts setting and becomes thick to spread in 5~10 minutes. G-flex stays thin and spreadable and will easily squeeze out from cracks for at least 15~30 minutes. Important when your doing a number of items at once and don't wanna mix fresh epoxy for every single one.

Bob smith dries very clear however. g-flex dries yellow. Its the only thing I dislike about g-flex.
                  https://www.Jamie-Sharp.com/ Straight and curved wood carving knives

Comment

Working...
                  X