English Paring Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Paring Knife

I have a English Paring Knife with the cutting edge that is at about a 45 degree angle from the knife handle. I want to sharpen it by making a wood jig that will slide on glass, similar to what I see on Brent Beach website. I could make a wood jig that holds the blade at the roughly 45 degree angle, or one the holds the blade handle parallel to the sharpening motion, which would more be like a standard chisel jig. I see potential issues with both as far as holding the whole front edge of the blade in contact the with micro-finishing film. Thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Looks like veneer knife to me.

TNB are you a wood carver?

Ed
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood https://www.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

Comment

The knife looks a lot like the Pfeil Brienz knife, very popular with leather workers. It's carving I guess.
      Are you certain that the bevel is 45? That's a big angle to push leather open, even trimming.

I wouldn't worry about a jig.
      Paint the bevel with a bunch of strokes of black felt marker. Draw the bevel angle on stiff card.
      Arrange your sharpening things at the edge of the bench, parallel to the edge.
      Stand your bevel card next to the abrasive.
      Stand up, if you are able.
      Hold the tool in your fingertips, hold your arms tight to your sides. You are the jig.
      Straight down. One pull stroke. Stop. Straight up and back to the start.
      Down again and repeat 5X.
      Watch the black marker come off so you get the edge even. Reapply marker.

The trick is to sharpen from your knees, never from your elbows.
      From time to time, make test cuts to judge your progress.
      Brian T

Comment

It is for leatherwork. the 45 is in reference to the cutting edge in relationship to the handle. In woodworking I think the closest thing is a skewed chisel. The actual angle of the bevel is very small, like 5 degree.

Comment

TNB, I'm guessing, & I thinking you might be new to carving; therefore, sharping your tools. My suggestion would be to forget jigs, we all have our own way of sharping, Brian's is certainly one of them. If you are worried about ruining your edge on the knife in question, Grab another knife, even an old steak knife, something to practice with & get comfortable doing it. I'm sure there will be other add comments, Just remember once your get the edge on your knife, the strop will be your best friend, just my 2ยข
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The common index of description for bevels in wood carving is in relation to the steel shank of the tool, no matter how fat the handle is.
            The total included bevel angle for a 1S/25e Pfeil wood carving skew is 20 degrees, like the rest of their gouges.

Most Eurogouges have 20 degree included bevels. I like to work with pairs of skews for "form line " carvings. One in each hand. The wood working community uses bevels of 25 degrees which is a lot of work to push wood open by hand for carving. I scrub L & R pairs of 1/2"/12mm skews back to 20 degrees for my comfort to push wood open.

I would think that there is no steel yet that can support a bevel angle of 5 degrees without folding or otherwise being damaged in service.

My first carving tools were scalpels. Dark joke in there. Looking back, I'm guessing the blades were maybe 12 degrees? No less as they would get damaged before you could do what cutting was needed.

I have been cutting bison meat in my kitchen with first strike flint blades. Like 10,000 years ago.
            Molecular sharpness.

Brian T

Comment

Professional sign carver Greg Krockta uses such a knife to carve letters in a sign. Search for "Carving signs: A Woodworker's Guide" by Roger Schroeder and Greg Krockta.
              Bill K.
              Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Originally posted by papasar View Post
                Professional sign carver Greg Krockta uses such a knife to carve letters in a sign. Search for "Carving signs: A Woodworker's Guide" by Roger Schroeder and Greg Krockta.
                Bill K.
                Somewhat resembles a chip carving stab knife, also.
                Arthur

Comment

If you require a jig to sharpen, you would need to make it so that the edge is parallel to the sharpening motion. Meaning the handle/shaft would be angled 45 degrees so that the edge is straight across the abrasive edge. It is indeed similar to a skewed gouge, which is very easy to sharpen free hand. I have also seen marking knives that are similar, but they are usually only beveled on one side. Used for marking tenons and dovetails.
                  'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
                  http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X