Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
    Get a blade from someplace
    I like this idea very much, but my question is where to get carving knife blades? Any suggestions would be welcome.

GFHWoodWerks

Comment

You will want to cut the blade into a shape that you find useful for carving.
      Buy a Dremel, add a stock of cutoff disks. Safety goggles and a dust mask.
      Little stone wheels help to shape unsharpened pieces of steel.
      The Dremel can do many things. I think they are a very good shop tool to own.

High carbon kitchen paring knives (cut into pieces.).
      Saws-All blades, even worn out ones (cut into pieces).
      Break up a pocket knife like a SAK. Worn out, junk farrier's hoof trimming knives.
      Rusty hand saw blades. Hack saw blades.
      I am cutting up a 250mm circular saw blade into knife pieces.

Brian T

Comment

I've used circular saw blades as card scrapers for years. So makes sense that I could cut up into a good knife blade. Guess I need to learnto create blade profiles as well....

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking you were suggesting buying blades from a blacksmith or knife maker. Honestly I like the DIY approach that you are suggesting.

GFHWoodWerks

Comment

Buying blades from a bladesmith is another good approach. I do this.
          I expect to pay for the skill, experience and shop of someone devoted to the metal work.
          Particularly as you learn to use the double-edged blades from the First Nations Carvers here in the Pacific Northwest, you have some nice choices. I could never beat what they make.

1. Lee Valley sell a variety of "Haida-style" wood carving blades. Made by Crescent Knife Works in Vancouver BC. I have and use all of them.
          https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca
          2. Kestrel Tool has been in the biz for years. Just about a gold standard. In any case, great to window shop so you can see the variety of knife and adze blades which are common tools here.
          I have a few knife blades and several adze blades. Wonderful edges.
          http://www.kestreltool.com/
          3. Jamie has started selling blades as well as finished knives. To do it again, I'd buy a few blades
          just for the fun of hafting my own ( not a difficult task.)
          https://www.jamie-sharp.com/
          Brian T

Comment

Another way that I haven't heard mentioned in a while is to find an old straight razor in an antique shop. Use a Dremel with cutoff disks to cut out the blade shape you like, then epoxy this into a handle shape you like. Be careful while cutting out the blade with the Dremel to not overheat the blade - use the Dremel for about 3-4 seconds, then dunk the blade in water to cool. If it turns blue, you've ruined the temper of the steel.

Claude
            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
            My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
            My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
            My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I bought a couple OCC blades and made my own handles, absolutely love them. The blades are readily available and cost less the $15 a blade!

Comment

Helvie opened sales this weekend. Had 2 knives in my cart and they were gone after I hit check out. Spent to much time looking through my options to procure anything. Maybe the next time they open sales.

GFHWoodWerks
                Novice Carver
                Exploring all I can with this art.
                GFHWoodWerks
                Novice Carver
                Exploring all I can in this artform.

Comment

as mentioned by claude, rich and holli make helvies part time. they are truly hand made one at a time. i dont think their popularity is due to marketing but rather due to a superior product. many claim to be hand made but are made with cnc machines and so forth. helvie is hand made. i own a few helvies as well as many others. i also enjoy pocket knives. but i respect the folks at helvie knives. theyre good folks with morals. if youd like to try your hand at making your own knife try using a old pocket knife blade and reshaping or regrinding it. don mertz has info on that on his blog. you may enjoy doing that to. wood carving is a great hobby. enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by hoosier wood carver View Post
                    as mentioned by claude, rich and holli make helvies part time. they are truly hand made one at a time. i dont think their popularity is due to marketing but rather due to a superior product. many claim to be hand made but are made with cnc machines and so forth. helvie is hand made. i own a few helvies as well as many others. i also enjoy pocket knives. but i respect the folks at helvie knives. theyre good folks with morals. if youd like to try your hand at making your own knife try using a old pocket knife blade and reshaping or regrinding it. don mertz has info on that on his blog. you may enjoy doing that to. wood carving is a great hobby. enjoy it.
                    I actuality like the wood bee carver blog very much. It's a great reference on many things. I might try my hand at making my own knives in the Mertz fashion, as it was a Mertz knife I was hoping to get. In the mean time I've procured some OCCTools knives, which I understand to be really high quality as well. I live in a rental property so I'm hesitant to be grinding in the unit, but as soon as I'm mobile again I can use a friend's shop to do that work.
                    GFHWoodWerks
                    Novice Carver
                    Exploring all I can in this artform.

Comment

If you’re not in a rush Helvie knives are definitely worth the wait (I have several and like their Hogger and box cutter for roughing out. Deepwoods Ventures makes a beautiful scalpel that is great for detail and I love their small butter knife for cleaning up cuts (thanks @Claude... I took your advice on that one!). I have an OCCT and Drake knife too but don’t tend to reach for them often. Warren Cutlery makes an interchangeable handle (I have their LD2 blade) that is a heavy knife and I like it for line cuts. Price is reasonable too. That is half the fun... trying out different blades to learn what you like best.
                      Always covered in chips.
                      My Instagram page: @carvingjunkies

Comment

Gfhwoodwerks: Not so much any more but just a few years back, I was making most of the crooked knives that I was carving with. No power grinding needed. Step one was with a 7/16"chainsaw file to get the bevel I wanted then various grades of good sand paper up to 1,500 grit.

The first 3 or 4 might be puzzles but a dozen after that are just routine builds.

I have a bunch of power tools to use for grinders. Never touched them. I'm more worried about the sparks setting fire to the wood dust and chips in my shop.
                        Brian T

Comment

Working...
                        X