Something I use regular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I use regular

For cleaning around the base of my relief carvings at the point they met the background, & for the removal of that pesky little piece of wood, I took a 32 TPI coping saw blade, pointed one end.

Probably old hat to some here, but might be of some help our newer carvers

C&C welcomed
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    . . .JoeB

Joe I assume you are using that like a push knife. Do you get a lot of flex as you use it? Is there a reason you haven't put a handle on it? I realize you're not taking deep cuts with it, but think a handle would increase control as well as comfort.
    GFHWoodWerks
    Novice Carver
    Exploring all I can in this artform.

Comment

GFH, a Push knife, not always, the teeth are pointing backward from the tapered end, this allows me to reach in a cleanout tight areas. Then I usually flip it around to the square end to clean from the carving to the background. I thought about putting a small handle at the mid-point of the blade, but I kind of like the flex I get without it. Again my 2ยข, but I would probably, but I keep asking myself what would be the advantage?
      . . .JoeB

Comment

I gotta do this. Thanks. I can see this sliding into the creases or folds in animal legs, sides of beaks and noses, all sorts of "little" places. I know exactly what you did.
        There are hundreds of caterpillars on my story poles, all the grooves between one body and the next.
        I roughed it out with a 1/8" bit in my RotoZip but there's a great deal of clean-up needed.

If I make any handles, they will just be wraps of masking tape in the middle.
        That won't compromise the flex and I can use both ends.
        Brian T

Comment

Joe, that's a great idea, one I can use today on a relief I'm finishing up. Thank you! Any particular reason not to slant both ends?
          Arthur

Comment

Laziness, I guess , but in reality, I left the other end as is because that is the end I'll be using to do the sawing with, just more meat in the blade, the tapered end I use of picking
            Last edited by joepaulbutler; 05-11-2021, 03:52 PM.
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              Laziness, I guess , but in reality, I left the other end as is because that is the end I'll be using to do the sawing with, just more meat in the blade, the tapered end I use of picking
              I find some things are best without the handle, especially when using for spot-on clean-up work because depending on the edge, the angle of the work and various size areas you are not holding it in the same place nor way. If the saw or tool is going to cut me,... I always wrap in painter tape but that is rare.

I use my jewelry diamond needle files for most clean-up work although. They are cheap 15 to 20 dollars. on Amazon. I have yet to replace them so they last. Great clean out in those tight grooves and hard to clean spaces of detail.
              81QAB-GSGvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
              Last edited by DiLeon; 05-12-2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I also use small files, of the file the one I use the most is the loop/circle diamond file, really works well in smoothing out the little ridges. The saw blade is mostly used just cleaning in tight places and around the bottom of a relief carving.
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Thank you for sharing this idea with us.
                  I'll hope i remember it when it's used by me.
                  If you don't like to call me wasserretter call me Dirk

Comment

Working...
                  X