No announcement yet.

Carving Tool Chest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rglideride: you will. You will build a tool chest, just not now.
    Give this 10 years. You buy the stuff that you need as one carving morphs into another. I bought 2 Eurogouges this year. Pfeil 3/18 and 5/18. I had nothing to do the job and I could not figure out how to get it done with crooked knives.

1-2 gouges over each of 25 years. 1-2 knives over each of 20 years. Rolls of First Nations crooked knives. Then you make a bunch of knives to get what you need. It adds up while you weren't looking.
    Brian T

Comment

Very, very nice! Sure puts my Plano tackle box to shame!

Comment

Thanks, folks! Haven't been back for awhile, sorry. Didn't see these comments until I logged in today. I will say that the tools I have took over 20 years to accumulate; I did buy a bunch after I sold my hot rod Buick, that I spent money on for many years. Didn't even get that money back out, but at least got some tools out of the deal. A lot of people in my carving class/club use plastic tackle boxes. They are a nice, inexpensive (and light!) way to carry the tools. I've been working out with weights to make sure that I can still lift that quarter sawn white oak chest. It's only 32 pounds. So far, it's OK. I built a bottom chest in the interim due to the expectation of weight lifting being an issue. Two drawers only, to hold my "recent" purchase of Henry Taylor "Acorn" chisels from about 5 years ago, and some newer Ashley Isles chisels that I got for xmas in 2019. The bottom drawer would be for projects, magazines, whatever. I made this one out of a plank of red oak, because QSWO is just getting stupid expensive where I live. Hardware is from H. Gerstner and Sons. I really like the quality of that hardware.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that is too neat to be in my workplace! Had to go to google to see what the heck QSWO was.
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Oops, sorry. I know from a previous life to spell it out the first time, but got lazy. And, thanks! It's not nearly as nice as you think, once you get up close.

Comment

But it is functional
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
              X