• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    woodburner807
    Senior

• woodburner807
    replied
    Great, Anders, and the Colwood is a great burner. So, yes it will work and adjust the temperature to the type of burn you want. Usually you use a lower temperature and if you want it darker, just go slower. Shading is the key to pyrography. Hard to master though. 95 % of what I burn is done with a skew tip. It all takes practice but not hard to pick up.

Bottom line is you might just try the Colwood on some scrap and see what you like the best. BTW, hardwoods need higher temperatures.

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    Western Washington

• 4ND3R5
    replied
    Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
    There are light dimmers, think of the old incandescent bulbs that had dimmers. Also motor controllers. In each case just plug your burner unit into it. However it does require some wiring and here is an article on how to do one: http://www.thegourdreserve.com/tutor...ol/burn1.shtml Your burner plugs into a regular household outlet? If so that is easy. The population of LED/solid state stuff makes the controllers rarer for lighting. I made several many years ago but bought a commercial burner for the business stuff. However the work around is better than nothing. The link should explain it better than I can.

Good luck and ask away on any questions.
    I have a Colwood variable temp wood burner, but this logo is done with a electric branding iron. Wonder it the principle would still work.

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers

• Mark N. Akers
    replied
    Anders, great looking knives, well done.

Leave a comment:

• JJF
    Senior Member French

• JJF
    replied
    They are awesome

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    Western Washington

• 4ND3R5
    replied
    Awesome, thanks Bill!

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    Senior

• woodburner807
    replied
    There are light dimmers, think of the old incandescent bulbs that had dimmers. Also motor controllers. In each case just plug your burner unit into it. However it does require some wiring and here is an article on how to do one: http://www.thegourdreserve.com/tutor...ol/burn1.shtml Your burner plugs into a regular household outlet? If so that is easy. The population of LED/solid state stuff makes the controllers rarer for lighting. I made several many years ago but bought a commercial burner for the business stuff. However the work around is better than nothing. The link should explain it better than I can.

Good luck and ask away on any questions.

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    Western Washington

• 4ND3R5
    replied
    Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
    Nice and attractive work, Anders. I use a variable temperature burner and it makes a world of difference. Working temperatures can vary greatly depending on the wood, moisture content, species, etc. You can always use a motor speed controller to vary temperature or the old regular light bulb dimmers.
    Hi Bill, are you saying that I rig something up to a light bulb dimmer to control the temp? How do you do that? Thanks for the tip! Could you explain a little more for me?
    4ND3R5
    Western Washington
    Last edited by 4ND3R5; 06-27-2021, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    Senior

• woodburner807
    replied
    Nice and attractive work, Anders. I use a variable temperature burner and it makes a world of difference. Working temperatures can vary greatly depending on the wood, moisture content, species, etc. You can always use a motor speed controller to vary temperature or the old regular light bulb dimmers.

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    Western Washington

• 4ND3R5
    replied
    Ok one last pic. I put some Howard's feed and wax on them. Easy finish. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    Western Washington

• 4ND3R5
    replied
    I made some covers for the blades. My wife designed a logo and got me a branding iron. Really cool gift. Our last name is Black....so she came up with Black Blades. I can see it'll take some practice to get it just right. Hold it on there to quickly and it's faded, too long and it burns too much.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    Western Washington

• 4ND3R5
    replied
    Originally posted by Claude View Post
    They look good, Anders - especially the larger upsweep! How thick is the blade?

Claude
    Thanks Claude. The blades are.036" thick

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    Super Mod Louisiana

• Claude
    replied
    They look good, Anders - especially the larger upsweep! How thick is the blade?

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Gulf Coast Handyman

• Gulf Coast Handyman
    replied
    Very nice knives!

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    Senior

• woodburner807
    replied
    Nice looking knives, Anders. Something I should try someday. Great functional results.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Good for you! When you get to using them, I'm sure there will be a big grin on your face.

I also use the floor scraper blades, but the 1095 steel I use to make a bigger, thicker blade, I got from:
    https://newjerseysteelbaron.com/product/1095hc/ NJ Steel Baron.

I've used different finishes on my handle, but have settled on using tung oil, for some reason it seems to me to get a better gripping to the handle. I've never taken the time to give the handle the nice finishing touch that you do with your caps

Again my2ยข

Leave a comment:

Working...
X