Line drawing tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line drawing tool

Hi all, I just purchased a copy of "Carving Compact Caracatures " by Skylar Johnson , In it he uses a line drawing tool to make lines on basswood eggs , Does anyone use this tool ? Should i bother making one ? I'm a fanatic about drawing my lines

Not familiar with the approach but a ruler and compass does all I need. Oh, and dividers.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

What does the tool look like, discription. I'm like Bill, not familiar with what you're talking about. The first thing that comes to mind is a pencil
      . . .JoeB

Comment

No just use a block of scrap wood and put an pencil on it. Then turn the egg around. You just need blocks of different heights.
        Jos
        Belgium

Comment

Here is the tool "As seen in the book Carving Compact Caricatures" per Mountain Woodcarvers web site:

https://mountainwoodcarvers.com/coll...marking-scribe

I do not own one of these, but I made one similar. This tool is very handy and you'll find many uses for it. ie: after I cut out a blank on a bandsaw, many of my carving projects require a center line. I use to use a flexible, plastic ruler, mark the center in many spots around the blank, and connect the dots. With this tool, you mark the center line in one place, set the blank on its side, set the pencil to the height of the mark, and rotate the blank against the pencil and you have a quick and easy center. The more blanks you cut out, the more you'll appreciate this tool.

....Dave
          Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
          www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Thank you all for the responses, I am going to start carving the eggs today

Comment

The block of wood and a pencil suggestion is more than adequate. No need to buy an extra tool. All you need is a little "engine-nuity!"

Comment

For the princely sum of $1.50 each, I have a couple of cloth dress-maker's tape measures.
                Very useful to wrap centerlines around carvings. They are just stiff enough to lay a row of pencil dots and dashes, good enough for a center line.
                Brian T

Comment

If you are planning to do chip carving, especially basswood eggs, you need a precise way to draw lines.

​

Comment

IMG_0001.JPG In the Machinist World that is called a Surface Gage and made from Metal

Comment

A strip of paper that will reach around the egg and overlap can be used to create equal divisions of the circumference. You wrap the strip around the girth of the egg and overlap the paper with a slight off set on one side so you can make a mark. Now take the strip and divide the distance between the 2 marks by the desired number of segments. Wrap the strip of paper back around the egg, and transfer the marks to the egg. Now sketch the lines from the top to the bottom of the egg.

I have a cradle that I made along time ago. You use a push pin at the top and bottom as axles to spin in the cradle. And you can spin the egg and draw a line at each mark after dividing the egg like I mentioned above.

I need to find the cradle and post a pic.

Bob

Comment

Found it!
                        210901_0003.jpg 210901_0002.jpg 210901_0000.jpg 210901_0001.jpg
                        BobL

Comment

brilliant solution, I suppose made in cardboard.
                          Jos
                          Belgium

Comment

1x2 wood and a good piece of stiff cardboard of card stock. I printed out a photo of eggs and pasted on the backside and then cut out the outline of the egg.

Can't take credit for it. i think I might have seen it on Pinterest.

BobL

Comment

Working...
                            X