new sharpening gadgets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new sharpening gadgets

worksharp has got a new cute little sharpening gadget that works pretty well it sells for about 50 so its not a killer other than that I joined a Facebook group called guided sharpeners and these guys are using devices named Hapstone and Wicked Edge and several others and they are putting these amazing edges on knives, mainly for display I guess not for actual work but its pretty easy to get a workable edge with one. Some are fairly inexpensive like the worksharp and some like a Tormek run 200 to a thousand anyway for what its worth you might want to check some of that stuff out. A lot of stuff on Amazon including of course Chinese knockoffs which some are pretty good. If you have a chance and have struggled with sharpening like I do these can be a real benefit.

I had a really hard time learning to sharp took me a long time to find a method that worked for me. After buying lots of stuff.... today....I used the Tomz machine which is slower than the Worksharp, the paper wheels that go on the bench grinder, and the scary sharp method using sandpaper. The stones and the rest of the stuff sit in the shop unused.
    61fhzMwtJ9L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    Attached Files
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I built a power sharpener, I used this motor Amazon.com: Bringsmart JGY-370 12V 10rpm DC Worm Gear Motor 12 Volt High Torque Engine Mini Turbine Worm 12V Reducer Electric Motor Self-locking for DIY Mini Geared Motor (JGY-370 12V 10rpm) : Industrial & Scientific I added a shaft using a bolt. An old lathe face plate, I made sandpaper disks glued to computer disks. I added a variable voltage power unit, that gives me variable speed capability.

Comment

Check out a member, Tom Ellis's "TomZ" Will not be disappointed
        . . .JoeB

Comment

I do all sharpening by hand. I consider it part of the Zen of carving; meditative, relaxing. Just me being me, not getting in a hurry.

Diff'rent strokes (pun intended) than those who need to save time for volume.
          Arthur

Comment

^ I don't power carve for the same reason. I do, however have a Worksharp 3000 that I use for honing carving tools, with a cardboard disc, and the yellow Flex-Cut abrasive. Works great! It also works great on my bench chisels.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
              I built a power sharpener, I used this motor Amazon.com: Bringsmart JGY-370 12V 10rpm DC Worm Gear Motor 12 Volt High Torque Engine Mini Turbine Worm 12V Reducer Electric Motor Self-locking for DIY Mini Geared Motor (JGY-370 12V 10rpm) : Industrial & Scientific I added a shaft using a bolt. An old lathe face plate, I made sandpaper disks glued to computer disks. I added a variable voltage power unit, that gives me variable speed capability.
              Do you have any pictures?

Comment

No pictures but here is the link that I used to make it. I did not follow his parts list. Low speed bi-directional 6" power hone | The Engraver's Cafe (engraverscafe.com)
                For the Inland Glass shaft adapter I drilled a short bolt, about 1" long, I had a lathe face plate that was threaded to 3/4 inch, so I used a 3/4" bolt. Once I had the motor shaft hole drilled I drilled and tapped aI side hole to use a set screw to lock it in place. I placed all of the workings inside of an electrical box with nly the bolt shaft through the top.

Comment

Dang, you Dogcatcher, How am I supposed to get to sleep tonight. The old mind is churning now, but I've got my Tomz, but what else could I make hummmmmmmmm
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

The TomZ works really good for me. No heat damage.
                    Carve On,
                    Kadiddle

Comment

After what I did to my precious Allen Goodman detail knife from over sharpening and buffing, I shutter at the thought of having to put my knives to a sharpener. In fact I wish I'd viewed the Helvi video on knife sharpening before I'd ever began. I have a soft wheel buffing machine that I built from a Harbor Freight variable speed motor and a workshop table model Triangular Abrasive File Sharpening Stone system. But my first step is to always strop my knives and if that doesn't work, to try sandpaper. Then and only then do I resort to the buffer or stones.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
                        No pictures but here is the link that I used to make it. I did not follow his parts list. Low speed bi-directional 6" power hone | The Engraver's Cafe (engraverscafe.com)
                        For the Inland Glass shaft adapter I drilled a short bolt, about 1" long, I had a lathe face plate that was threaded to 3/4 inch, so I used a 3/4" bolt. Once I had the motor shaft hole drilled I drilled and tapped aI side hole to use a set screw to lock it in place. I placed all of the workings inside of an electrical box with nly the bolt shaft through the top.
                        Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                          I do all sharpening by hand. I consider it part of the Zen of carving; meditative, relaxing. Just me being me, not getting in a hurry.

Diff'rent strokes (pun intended) than those who need to save time for volume.
                          I am with you SIR. Arthur C. Slow strokes and many as I want one side of the leather ,, then the other side. Really never could see the reason for a "power" sharpener? The only Time I put a blade to a wheel was making a new blade and before heat treating.. The and very fine wheel and stones and ... 1200 wetter dry. wet.

Like your PUN too.
                          Chuck
                          Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Freehand sharpening is great if you are physically capable. I suspect that there are lots of carvers who can't manage that at all. Power sharpening is all well and good, all methods aim to produce the same result. Practice and more practice. Just decide that you are going to get to be really, really good at sharpening (after that, it looks fast and easy, doesn't it?)

There are some really old 16mm film archives which have been digitized, and some are posted on YouTube. In one, the First Nations carver sharpened his crooked knife with a bucket of water and a rock. If he can do it, so can I and that became a goal of skill.

Kwakiutl, Kwakwaka'Wakw, wood carver displays his craftsmanship, Mungo Martin, 1963 - Bing video
                            Brian T

Comment

A very interresting video.
                              If you don't like to call me wasserretter call me Dirk

Comment

Working...
                              X