glue on knife handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glue on knife handle

I am attaching a handle to a knife blade What is the best glue to use is gorilla glue good enough?
    Herb

I am not sure about Gorilla Glue for knife handles. It works well on wood and textured surfaces. I have never used their epoxy. I have made a few knife handles and used "BladeBond Ultra" recomended to me by a friend who is blacksmith and blade maker.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Are you going to put pins in the handle, if not, notch the sides of the tane for an area for the glue to harden in. I always felt that this gave a little more control to keep the blade coming out of the hand To answer your question, regarding the knives I make I always use two-part 5min epoxy.
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Any 2 part 5 minute epoxy will work. I use Devcon Home which is what was at the store. Stay away from Gorilla epoxy. It smells horrible when you mix it. And if you have a sensitive sense of smell, you will continue to smell it.

BobL

Comment

I use Bob Smith 30 min but just because that is what I keep around. I have also used whatever 5 min epoxy I had and have never had a blade get loose. I agree with Joe and always carve a tight recess for the tang to nest in. I like gorilla glue in certain applications but don’t think a polystyrene adhesive would be the way to go on a knife handle.
          Last edited by Nebraska; 05-11-2022, 07:25 PM.

Comment

We're assuming that the handle is wood, but you didn't say. The most secure attachment would be rivets through a full-length blade tang.

Comment

Thanks for all the good advise. I will get some epoxy and try it.
              Herb

Comment

I have surface-hafted a dozen or more blades (Pacific Northwest Coast First Nations style) into hardwood handles. I have always used JB WELD epoxy. This is the usual A+B mix, it even has crushed limestone in it.

Then I cover my messy work with a FAQ cord whipping.

I have never had a blade come loose.
                Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                  We're assuming that the handle is wood, but you didn't say. The most secure attachment would be rivets through a full-length blade tang.
                  I like the two parts epoxy, with rivets, no mater how short the blade /handle are.
                  Chuck
                  Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Working...
                  X