Two Cherry Chisels Any Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Cherry Chisels Any Good

I bought a canvas bag full of all this $10 including the two Japanese stone - 800 & 1000 grit. Seems the Two Cherry chisels are the best in the lot as they are German and run around $30 each new. The edges are a mess and I finding them quite hard to sharpen. When I look them up some of the new ones are listed as SS, which may be why they are so hard. Anyone have experience with Two Cherry? Chisels_6_23.jpg

Last edited by Frede; 06-23-2022, 11:26 PM.

Frede, You got the find of the century, It will be well worth your time sharpening the two cherries, as they are some of the best tools on the market. I wish you well.
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Two Cherries are excellent carving tools. $10 is simple theft! As hard as the steel might be,
      get the edges cleaned up and carving sharp. Do a few each day, don't make a marathon out of it.
      You will not be disappointed.
      Brian T

Comment

Great find. I bought a two cherries knife a few years ago and could never get it carving sharp. I could get it sharp enough to shave with, but it didn't want to cut wood. I wondered if it was SS as it was so difficult to sharpen.
        Anders.
        https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

Comment

Holy smokes, you are one lucky dog! :jealous:

Comment

Would you be interested in making a $10 profit on your purchase? You scored my friend
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Great buy. Two Cherry is a good brand. The tools you got are great. They will take a little extra effort to sharpen because of the quality of their steel.
              We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
              https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Send those tools to somebody reputable to be sharpened. Tools like that need to be sharpened only when damaged. Once properly sharpened, the average carver (and I mean at a hobbyist level) should only need to strop to clean the edges and polish the surfaces. I have never used his services, but someone like Dallas Deege comes to mind as someone who could whip those tools into shape.

BobL

Comment

Thanks, I'm glad I took a chance on these. Well, $10 wasn't much of a chance lol.

@Bobl, I've gotten 2 flat Two Cherries shave sharp with a 180 diamond plate moving up to 2000 3M paper. Thing is, the 180 which removes a LOT of material from chisels did little on the Two Cherry until I leaned into it hard. Initial tries at re-grinding a spoon gouge was no go....even on the Work Sharp which is my go to for re-grinding damage. I'm ordering a Tormek rest for the Work Sharp which I need anyway for lathe tools. If that doesn't do it I'm going to use your suggestion and send them out.

Comment

Most of the Two Cherries gouges require different sharpening techniques. Flat edged tools cannot be moved over stones or other abrasives with the same motions as curved edges. V-tools and veiners are also different. So be prepared to treat each tool as a unique challenge, even on a Work Sharp or Tormek.

Comment

I have Two cherries and some of same tools a different names. Not my favorite, great when you get them sharp, but I use them little. Sharpening is an issue. There is no doubt they are made of very good steel but it is harder than other brand name tools. . However, the issue of the convex backs due to polishing (not terribly convex in the middle, but rather, dubbed along the side edge, which means that if you want REALLY flat, you need to do a LOT of work) has been noted by many, and the manufacturer does not perceive it to be a problem. It is not an exception but has become the rule with these chisels. The availability of the unpolished ones is due to the request of those who figured out what the polishing was doing. I think it depends on how picky people are about the flatness issue -- for some, the only important part is just behind the blade. Others take rotary tools to the middle of the part to purposefully make it concave, kind of like a Japanese chisel. Some people don't mind the extra work and appreciate the quality of these chisels. I like a tool that is easy to sharpen and does not need babysitting...which always takes me to other top brand names which seem to me easy to sharpen and stay sharpened are my go to use tools.
                      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Jealous too (give you 10·$ more)

Comment

I'd go $50!!! take'm off your hands

Comment

$60 , no doubt about it, you got a great deal!
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

I'll prob never be that lucky again lol. I have managed to get one of the gouges shave sharp, but one of the easier one's, and it took very long. The more complex edges are also in the worst shape....regrinding those is far beyond my skills. As suggested I contacted Dallas who will sharped all 21 for what I consider a very reasonable fee.

I don't know if it's because their old, or if it's just the steel TC uses, but they are the hardest material I've ever come across. I imagine a butternut/basswood would do very little to dull the edges once they're sharp. I like how they feel in my hand, and if a brief stropping is all they'll ever need, I'll be very happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X