Scraper Blade Shaping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraper Blade Shaping

I am posting some pics of jig I made from unknown tropical hardwood. Hardwood taps and hold threads very well this project. I used 1/4-20 for this jig. I routed a slot to hold the blade along with a bolt in the back to pinch the blade. This has worked very well on my 1x30 sander thinning the bevel form 30 to something around 15 degrees. I did some shaping with a dremel but the sander works well. I spend maybe 5 seconds with 80 and 120 on the blades. They never get hot. The plywood piece is notched to hold the handle while using my router to round over the edges. If you are hesitant doing this double sided tape to securely hold the handle. Once I have a
    better handle profile I'll rout out the rough shape with a flush trim bit. ​​ ​​

These are the pics that I tried to upload but the size was too big. DSCN0160.jpg DSCN0156.jpg DSCN0162.jpg DSCN0157.jpg DSCN0161.jpg

Comment

To make sure I'm understanding you, this is a jig for sharpening/shaping the blade...........
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Yes the jig holds the blade securely for sharpening and shaping, Works very well and the hands are well away from the blade.

Comment

Good job and good idea. I love my 1x30 belt sander. It is a handy tool to have around the shop. I use it for a lot more than just sharpening. Keep up the good work.
          flint

Comment

I am starting to make some handles but my early attempts were unsatisfactory. I using some ideas from other makers so we'll see how that works. I ordered some curly maple and I am looking forward to those handles. I am trying to make some upsweep blades which are a work in process-lots of grinding

Comment

What's the piece of plywood in the bottom pic used for? Push stick?
              Anders.
              https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

Comment

The push stick also known as a shoe is for the router table. The notch is placed at the rear of what is being shaped, in my case knife handles. You can use double sided tape to hold the piece but with adequate pressure the tape is optional.

Comment

While surfing the woodbee site Don Mertz has numerous posts about knife design,etc. In a shop pic the video shows him at a hand grinder modifying knife shapes! I also noticed that the grinding wheel has a large radius on both edges. I have never seen a wheel like that so maybe he has had it for years. I have a hand grinder which I used for chisels and plane irons but it's unused now. Any takers out there ?

Comment

Working...
                  X