Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Master carver hand tools, how are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Master carver hand tools, how are they?

I recently got the newest catalog of woodcarvers supply and they have a new line of tools by mastercarver. The tool width goes up to 40mm and all of the tools are 20 dollars! I wondered if anyone had tried them? What do you think?

Re: New Master carver hand tools, how are they?

I've been looking at them too, and wondering the same things...guess we'll just have to buy one and see for ourselves. They look good.
    Kathy

Comment

Ditto on the same thoughts--I guess great minds do think alike! LOL

HEY BOBD!!! Maybe somebody could do a review of the Mastercarver hand tools for WCI--HMMMMM?!?!?

Bob L

Comment

Master Carver hand tools are very good, they are made the old fashioned way, hand forged in China, but of superior quality than the cheap Harbor Freight imports. Check out my reply to an earlier by Whimsical Woodworks of 1-23-2008 entitled "Mastercarver tools ??? any good" for my more exhausting response. I suggest you buy one to try out, (they also come in sets, of which I have all three) I like them, but then I like all kind of tools (its a sickness I have)

Comment

Thanks Don--here's a link to your post!

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...56/#post141668

Comment

I just placed an order for the Mastercarver Hand Forged Tool #5 40mm my thought is to use it for removing large areas of wood on a carving. I will report back when I get my tool and test it out. Thumbs Up Thank you, for the link which did convince me to try one out.
            Kathy

Comment

They have a set of 20 tools, all larger and mostly fishtails, for $200. That's $10/tool! Mike
              Matthew

Comment

I e-mailed this morning to get a list of the tools in the 20 tool set. I want to order a tool or two to try out. Depending how I like the handles and the tool, I might order a set and/or individuals to suit what I need. But I don't want to end up with two fo the same tool if I order a set. So, I'm waiting patiently for an answer.

Bob L

Comment

Mastercarver Gouge Update

Smile Hi All, I recently ordered the #5-40mm MasterCarver Gouge from Wood Carvers Supply, Inc. I received a nice letter in the mail yesterday that my gouge is on backorder. They said it will be shipped as soon as possible.
                  So my review has been delayed, but will post-back when I get my gouge.
                  I would like to add I have done business with these folks in the past and had prompt service.

Anyone else ordered one of these gouges yet? Have you received it? What do you think of your gouge/gouges?
                  Kathy
                  </IMG>

Comment

Originally posted by Just Carving
                    I e-mailed this morning to get a list of the tools in the 20 tool set.........waiting patiently for an answer.

Bob L
                    Have you heard anything back yet?

Comment

Not a word. Doesn't say much for customer service.

Bob L

Comment

Has anyone actually gotten their hands on one of these tools yet? If so, what do you think?

I got Mark Gargac's tutorial on carving a wood spirit and I need to order a few gouges. These seem like a good way to go providing the quality is ok.

Comment

I have one of the gouges and it seems OK. Haven't used it long enough to know how the edge will hold up.

I spent the week in Branson carving. There was a carver there working on a life sized bust that had 6 of the MasterCarver gouges. I talked to him a bit. He said they were holding an edge very well. He had carved quite a bit and was pleased. He did say that one gouge was loose on the handle but had never came off. So we don't know how long the tang is or how it is affixed.

I'm going to be ordering a few more and but won't be using them for a month or so.

Comment

Hi folks I'm still waiting for my the #5-40mm MasterCarver Gouge from Wood Carvers Supply, Inc. In there defense I did receive on 2-19-08 a letter from them letting me know my gouge was on backorder.

I haven't heard anything further, but plan to give them a call on Monday, March 10th.

I have ordered other things from Wood Carvers Supply and had really good service. Sounds like they are at the mercy of this manufacturer. I will post again when my gouge arrives.

Kathy

Comment

Hi folks:

Spoke with Tim in customer service at Wood Carvers Supply, Inc. who returned my call of 3-10-08. Tim informed me that the manufacturer of the MASTERCARVER HAND FORGED TOOLS have push back the delivery date to them again.

Wood Carvers Supply are looking at approximately mid-April for delivery to them. Tim informed me that the next largest mm available in stock is 25mm in the #5. There are other sizes including 25mm in stock, so best to call them and check. Here is for orders 1-800-284-6229 (Florida) for questions 1-941-460-0123 number www.woodcarverssupply.com

I decided, to leave my gouge on backorder to assure I still will get one when they arrive at Wood Carvers Supply.

I did place another order I've been wanting one and it's in stock a heat activated transfer tool. Our club is making small carvings for our various demonstrations as handouts to children. This will cut down the hand drawing and make the process faster. I've seen these in use by one of our chip carvers in our club and they really work great.

I found, Tim to be very courtious and informative. As I mentioned earlier I have purchased products from these folks before and had good service.

Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X