Looking to buy a dust collection system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a dust collection system

I'm looking to buy a dust collection system for my power carving set up this summer. I have been looking at the Razaire 530 and the Penn State DC 725. I noticed a bit of a price difference between the two units. Is there that much difference in performance between the two? Also, is is necessary to wear a respirator along with the unit?
    Thanks
    Keithmc

Re: Looking to buy a dust collection system

Hi,

If you are looking for a dust collection system check out these sites:

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/
    and
    http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

these should help and keep you from breathing too many finds. Bill's site offers the plans for the do it your selfer while the clearvue is a ready made system based on Bill's design. There is a lot of interesting information on Bill's site. Enjoy

Darrell

Comment

Hello Keith,
      I would like to put in a good word for the dust collector that I use...
      the "In Lap" dust collector. I have had some of the others such as the Penn State, and found them to be very noisy and if you are short on shop space, they take up a larger foot print than I would like.

The In Lap is not only portable, it hangs under your work table out of the way. A 6 inch hose runs from the heavy duty squirrel cage (that is made to run like a champ) to a little lap board that has a 6 inch hole for the hose. The hole is covered with hardware cloth to prevent small work from dropping in there. It operates much more quietly than the other dust collection systems I have had. Other than blowing off the motor with a compressor once in a while, (and emptying the bag of course) there has been no maintenence on it. I have run it hard for 7 or 8 years....sometimes 8 hour days. I still wear a mask. No matter what dust collection system you use, please wear a mask.

I also wear ear protection. Those Foredoms and Dremels, etc, make a lot of noise all on their own. But with a quieter dust collector, I can still listen to music or tv while working.....loudly but I can hear it.

Comment

Hi Keith, I have the Penn State DC725 and I like it. I mostly carve relief and in the round and can position the unit to accommodate either one. I wear a respirator with the two filters on each side of the mask. I really believe when powercarving it's important to protect you lungs as best you can. I even wear protective glasses to protect my eyes from flying dust and chips.
        Kathy

Comment

Thanks for the info on the dust collection systems. I will look into the other systems. Right now my strongest inclination is to go with the Penn State. Kathy, I also wear a respirator with the two filters on each. I just have a hard time power carving for any length of time while wearing it. Gets hot and itchy. Do you have any suggestions for carving for longer periods of time.
          Thanks again for the info
          Keithmc

Comment

Originally posted by Keithmc
            Thanks for the info on the dust collection systems. I will look into the other systems. Right now my strongest inclination is to go with the Penn State. Kathy, I also wear a respirator with the two filters on each. I just have a hard time power carving for any length of time while wearing it. Gets hot and itchy. Do you have any suggestions for carving for longer periods of time.
            Thanks again for the info
            Keithmc
            Hi Keith, my respirator is very light and comfortable--sending along some images. Added my hand so you could see the actual size of mine. Even in the summer I really don't get to warm while wearing it. Also doesn't fog up my safety glasses or eye glasses. As for carving for longer periods of time I get up and walk around. Seems to refresh and then I can go back to powercarving. That's about all I can recommend....

Hubby got my respirator at Home Depot it's a MSA Safety Works P-100
            I take the filters off and wash the face mask in warm sudsy water and let dry overnight. As I wear make-up and it tends to get on the inside of the mask.

Hope this helps,
            Kathy

Comment

Thanks Kathy, Tells me I have the wrong mask. Mine, I think is a little heavier than that. Think I will take a trip to Home Depot and check it out.
              Keith

Comment

Working...
              X