X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• martyslc
    replied
    Re: tools

I got these today from mountain woodcarvers and they seem to cut really well but they don't look like much. The 10-8 gouge is bent and it's in the handle tilted to one side. I don't know if you can see it from the pictures. Plus theres some rust up by the handle. Look how much difference there is in the amount of gouge. (The length from tip up to handle) I did call them on the phone before I bought them and they told me they were good steel and so far they seem to be but they look worse then I expected.

Marty

Leave a comment:

• BobT
    replied

That is indeed Mountain Woodcarvers. Pam and Skylar Johnson. You will have to look far and wide to find someone more honest than these folks. And while I do not own any of those particular tools I did talk to Skylar about them and he highly recommends them, and he is a skilled carver and knows tools.

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Mountain Woodcarvers is in Estes Park Colorado I believe and a solid company, have bought from them before.

Leave a comment:

• Plain_Ol_Ed
    replied

They look fine to me, but to be on the safe side, I'd order one just to see for sure. I don't think they will come sharpened, so be prepared for that.

Leave a comment:

• martyslc
    started a topic tools

tools

Anyone bought tools from here? CARVE4LESS.COM

This is what it says about the tools:

"Sale on Woodcarving and Sculpture Tools! Made for hand and mallet use. Overall length 9" to 10". Made in US by American craftsmen, using high carbon steel. Handmade, hand forged, tempered, hardened, and tested for hardness. These tools are rated on the Rockwell Black Diamond scale at .59 to .62 , this is the proper hardness for edge holding ability and ease of sharpening. Factory edged, add $1 , $3 for v-tools for pro sharpening. See these Sale Tools Here!"

I called about the prices and why they are half of whats on the market and they said it's because they bought a big volume of them. So I was wondering if their good?

-Marty
Working...
X