Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good 14" band saw blade for roughouts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good 14" band saw blade for roughouts?

Hi, I'm getting a 14" band saw and trying to figure out what blades I need to get. For roughouts I figure I should get an 1/8" wide blade to make the radius cuts, but how many teeth per inch & tooth type skip, hook, rake, standard etc. Someone I know that has a smaller saw said he uses an 1/8" 6-8 tpi. So far all the one 1/8" blades I see are 10 or 14 tpi. I guess I should get a 3/16", 1/4" also. So far I have only got a good blade for ripping & resawing.
    appreciate any and all help. Brand or source suggestions also appreciated.
    Thank you for your help.
    Don

Re: What is a good 14" band saw blade for roughouts?

don,

if you want a good blade buy the timberwolf blades, the 3/16 or 1/4 skip tooth blades are the best and with the skip tooth they cut fast and smooth.

bart

Comment

Amen on the wolf brand from suffolk machinery! A 1/4 blade with 4 teeth per inch does a good rough out job...and with only 4 teeth, doesn't load up. I have some 10 tpi blades and they cut very smooth, but I am constantly cleaning out the gullets..the build up isn't worth the smooth cut imho.....my next blade is going to be a 3/16 in...........I tried an 1/8 in blade and didn't have any luck at all with it........it was before I knew about wolf blades, but still..............? It broke immediately and without putting it through any extreme turns?
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I've never really used anything other than a 1/4 skip tooth.

Comment

3/16" Skip Tooth are the way to go. You can turn a real tight radius even up to 4" thick wood. Just remember, no matter what type of blade you get once you get it on the machine take a moment to round off the back edges of the blade. You'll be amazed at just how much this improves the performance when making a turn.

Comment

The "Olson All-Pro" blades are every bit as good as the Timberwolf's and maybe a wee bit better. They are a little less costly also. There's a big difference between Olson's standard blade and their All-Pro though.

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention is to make sure you invest in a blade repair kit as it will pay for itself many times over. A blade will break long before it's teeth get dull and it only takes a second to fix it. I repair my blades until they get too small to go on the wheels, only then do I toss them out. I'm still using the same Timber Wolf blade I won as a door prize 5 years ago and I do a lot of sawing. Bet I've fixed that thing 5 or 6 times. And it has never broken on one of my welds.

Comment

I really appreciate all the info from each of you! Now I know what blade to buy. I also learned something else new, about the blade repair kit, which I will look into. May as well keep the blade as long as it still cuts good even if it breaks.
                Thank you all very much
                Don

Comment

Lynn,
                  Can you tell us more on the blade repair kit thing-a-ma-jing? Costs where to buy etc.
                  Thanks.

Comment

I've used Delta, Woodcraft, Olsen and Timberwolf, and the Timberwolf worked the best for me. I use 1/8" blades to do some intricate decorative carvings and those small blades can really have a tracking (or drifting)problem. Just a minor difference in the set or sharpness on one side of the blade will throw it off line. So far, I'm sold on the "wolf". Mike
                    Matthew

Comment

Here are some links to help. The first one is a kit offered by Woodcraft. It's not the one I use but basically the same. The second is a video showing a guy using this jig. The third is one you can build yourself. Hope this helps. It might look expensive but then just remember that each time you fix a blade your saving the costof a new one. It adds up pretty fast.

Deluxe Bandsaw Blade Brazing Kit - Woodcraft.com

Charles Neil: Deluxe Bandsaw Blade Brazing Kit - Brightcove

The Frugal World of Doc: Bandsaw Blade Jig And Repair

Comment

My My Lynn,
                        Finally a reasonable price. I would have guessed more like $100. Just shows to go ya. I agree the price is right for the savings incurred in the long run. It's on my ever growing list.
                        Thanks

Comment

Don:
                          I find that a 3/16th 4 tooth skip tooth works best for me,I use the Olson brand.
                          Mark N. Akers
                          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

someone was telling me fine working mag did a review on band saw blades and out of the blades they used grizzly bandsaw blades did better than timber wolf . he also said you could just about get two grizzlys for the price of the wolf. just thought I would pass this along .

Comment

Working...
                            X