Tool question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool question

What are your thoughts on Stubai tools? I was at a Rockler store buying some beginner stuff (bench knife, small palm set), and I saw the Stubai stuff on sale. The guy at the store said they weren't that good, but I've read reviews saying they were the best.

Re: Tool question

Stubai tools are usually good quality tools and if sharpened well, should serve a lifetime.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

He probably said they weren't that good because they--as like most tools bought in a store--usually need to be sharpened.

Bob L

Comment

And, depending on which Rockler store you were in, you may NOT have talked to a real "carving guy"! Last time I was in a Rockler store, they told me that Rockler was getting out of the carving tool business. That particular store had a really dpleated selection of carving tools......maybe it was just this one store, but it didn't sound like it.

Al

Comment

Stubai chisels are outstanding! But as with most tools you buy, they still need sharpening/honing....they cut smooth as glass imho. As much as I like them, I still like ashley Iles better, thinner steel I think and less of a cutting angle ?
          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I've got a goodly number of them and once I sharpened them to my liking, they are fine. Don't let the sharpening part be a turn off, because every tool I get from anywhere, no matter the brand, even "pre-sharpened" ones need to be tuned to suit my tastes.

Comment

Hey S Rocket, I would call Rick at WWW.littleshavers.com , he will give you an honest answer, and most important when you buy from him the tools come nice and sharp!! If they need to be resharpened he will do that for free.

Dave

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I don't think I'm ready for the big boy tools yet, but they were 30% off. So, I figured I pick up a couple that I think I would probably use in the future.

Comment

At 30% off, buy all you can afford. You'll just be paying full price at a later date. Better than money in the bank at what, 3%?

Comment

I like how you think Ed. The problem is convincing the wife.

Comment

Shocker,
                      I agree with all of above, esp Ed, he is a no BS guy. The really good part is that you will be able to handle the tools before buying as opposed to buying online or catalog.
                      This may be of those times the only regret you have is not striking while the iron is hot.
                      I only have one 2mm veiner, but would not hesitate to buy more Stubai product and have Rick tune up later.
                      Jim

Comment

Sorry,
                        Let me amend one statement, all of the above are knowledgeable, no B.S guys.
                        Bleecchh, wet boot tastes like, whoops, I think I stepped in something.
                        Jim

Comment

Hey Jim,
                          That's why I posted the question here. I figured I would get an answer from people with experience in carving, not just the general wood working knowledge the guy at Rockler seemed to have. I think I'm going to go tomorrow and pick up a few. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question everybody.

Comment

Convincing the wife is easy. Use the same philosophy on her that she uses on you. "Tis better to ask forgiveness than permission." Grab the tools while they are available. Good tools are hard to find a good prices.
                            I missed out on a closeout on typhoon burrs at Lowes that I have been kicking myself about for years.

Dan

Comment

You know what Dan? I think you're right. I'm still mad at her from over a year ago when I missed out on a good deal on a snow blower. I'll just say," Honey, I didn't want another snow blower incident."

Comment

Working...
                              X