Leather wheel on 1725 RPM motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather wheel on 1725 RPM motor

Thirty odd years ago while at a wood show I bought this rig from an old fella (now deseased) it has a fairly fine regular grinding wheel on one side and a 3/4 inch solid leather wheel on the other side. The leather wheel had some iregularities in it so I took a square piece of wood and sand paper and trued it up. My question, do I use compound on this leather wheel or just use it without any additives? By the way, the wheel runs up (away from me) Please, suggestions appreciated.
    Cliff

Re: Leather wheel on 1725 RPM motor

Cliff:
    You should use some type of compound, on the wheel,I use a green compound I get from Woodcraft.
    Mark N. Akers
    My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

I use the Flexcut Gold on a leather wheel and it works well. I do ocassionally rub Mineral Oil on the wheel, it seems to help the compound adhere better, and keeps the leather softer. Another tidbit I read here.
      Bob
      Anthony
      Corryton, TN

Comment

Mark and all,
        Please be careful when using the green, especially on a power device. It contains Chromium oxide and in large amounts can cause chromium metal fume poisoning. Some where back in the files Rick posted an MSD on this.
        Having said that, I use it, but am careful what I touch or put in my mouth or eyes, and keep away from kids.
        Jim

Comment

I myself do not know much about power leather wheels, but a local gentelman that I know has done some sharpening for me and I try to watch and learn. Anyway he used a paste that is made by Tormex, I think it is available from Woodcraft.

Dave

Comment

Cliff I would have to agree with Mark on this one that is what I use on my wheel. Congrads on selling your carvings Cliff, you mentioned you lived by a good fishing spot, Have you ever thought about putting a fish on top of the cage or someone holding a string of fish maybe a little boy or girl?

LonnieCowboy

Comment

Thanks guys for the response to my question, thing is, I have red (jewellers rouge) I have green (tripoli) and I have white all in bar form. Problem, none of them seem to stick to the wheel that well, should I apply some oil as suggested, bear in mind, this wheel is approx 30 years old.
              To Bullshipper, yes to your fishing question. my next one will have a bobber in it instead of a golf ball with (hopefully) something that resembles a fisherman on top.
              Cliff

Comment

I also use the mineral oil on all my leather wheels. What I do with my bar compounds is scrape off a quantity then rub it on the wheels, the oil helps it stick nicely. Works well for me.
                Keep Barkin

Comment

I bought a micro grater from wally world and grate polishing compound on the wheel then rub it in with my finger.arnie

Comment

hi cliff the oil softens the leather and helps hold the compound it also helps to keep the leather in good shape it just like a good pair od boots how they get dry the oil keeps them form cracking it will do the same for your wheel

Comment

Working...
                    X