replied
    Re: 3M sharpener

Thanks Bob, I'll have a look.

Henri

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied

We had a review by Tom Matus in a back issue of the magazine...wait...I think we posted it...hang on...
    Here it is:

JoolTool Product Review - Wood Carving Illustrated

Bob Duncan
    Technical Editor

Leave a comment:

• hruukki
    replied

Yes right - sorry to be blunt but I was just asking about the 3M machine. I am sharpening by hand now, and have nothing against it. Only, the 3M system looks pretty enticing since the edge is visible while you go.
    Henri

Leave a comment:

• Kenny_S
    replied

Learn the basics first and when you get good at that, maybe power sharpening. I am still learn basic sharpening by hand. Sometime I get it right, sometimes not.

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

I do both, normally strop by hand but will sometimes use the Burke, mostly I use the power when I am making a knife..

Leave a comment:

• J Cowan
    replied

I agree about sharpening the old fashioned way. Kind of new to carving, and I was pretty intimidated by the curved edge when sharpening. Not really a big deal, as it turns out. However, I'd hate to see how much steel I'd go through with a wheel. By hand, it's easy to tell when you're there. With a machine, I'd probably end up with short gouges with long handles.

Leave a comment:

• Plain_Ol_Ed
    replied

This is strictly my opinion, but I feel that most of the mechanical devices are a waste of time and money unless you are sharpening tools as a profession. I'm a bit of a Neanderthal I guess, but a little effort learning to sharpen by hand is one of the most valuable skills you can learn as a carver. It is not really that hard.

Leave a comment:

• hruukki
    started a topic 3M sharpener

3M sharpener

Hi, has any of you tried the new 3M system where you can see the tool edge through the rotating sharpening bits? It looks like a good idea to me but I'd like to see some comments from experience.

Henri
Working...
X