Porta Strop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porta Strop

Anyone have any experience with the Porta Strop, good or bad. Seems alittle expensive, but very convienient. I did a search here and nothing came up.

Dave

Re: Porta Strop

I watched a pro use one this winter, he was doing chip carved signs, and was as good as I have seen, at what he was doing, I could tell his knives were extremely sharp, and he said he has been useing the same ones for years. Sold me on one, now if my oil well comes in !!

Comment

My oil well also Ron, looks like a very nice machine, but with all the options it's around $300.00. Just not sure if it's worth that much.

Dave

Comment

I saw somewhere where the guy took an old power shoe shine buffer and converted it into a power strop........head for the garage sales LOL
        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Hi Ho, Not a bad idea !!!

Dave

Comment

Looks like a good application for an old drill motor too.

Comment

Also a good idea !! The Porta Strop is battery operated (14 Volt) wonder if you could use an old battery operated drill motor ?? I have a 18 volt Ryobi drill that was given to me, it's never been used, Ed now you got me thinkin.

Dave

Comment

I was going to give it a go with a 18V job by Coleman that I got at Wal-Mart two years ago for $30 (with spare battery). Have been hesitant because it works so good as a drill. Really have a hankering for one of the newer ones with Lithium Ion batteries. Might be a good excuse to make the purchase!

Comment

Hi HO,
                  This past winter in Tx I met a guy that had just converted a shoe polisher to a sharpener. I bought one on e-bay and made one for myself. Not a bad portable method. Some problems are the spindle shaft is a small diameter and therefor easy to displace if the wheel you're adding is too heavy. For instance a wood 1' wide x 5-6" dia leather covered wheel. The other is a cloth buffer. Should be lighter than what I using which is 2" wide x 6" dia. The rotation isn't really steady but acceptable. I would do it again knowing what I do now for a portable inexpensive method.

Comment

Ed, If you do give it a go please let us know how you went about it. The L I drills are great, and what a difference with the batteries.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X