Sandpaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandpaper?

On page 96 of WCI I was suprised to see only 6% use sandpaper. I stopped for years until I read the Whittling book. I have diamond, water stones, Oil stones, & a power water wheel. The only time I actually sharpen is a new or damaged tool. The 800 sand paper is great for a touch up & once it's worn it good to polish.
    I also use card board. Like writting tablet backs with gold compound to polish.
    Jerry

Re: Sandpaper?

Whatever works for you is right for you! Sandpaper doesn't work for me, because I do a lot of carving on the move; two small stones and a strop is much more portable then the sandpaper bit. They never wear out so I never need to be searching for replacement. May not be best for somebody else. Differnent strokes. There ain't no best. Some folks prefer one, some folks prefer another.

Comment

I hadn't thought of cardboard from the back side of writing tablets before. I'll have to try that someday. I also like the sandpaper system, and it can be rather portable if its made small enough. "Different strokes" is right Ed, long as the strokes are making the blade sharp.

Comment

during the metamorphosis, from raw novas beginner to know it all, every step or new found method / product is another tool in your bag of tricks.
        some of the simple methods work great still,
        the complicated high tech methods work in the need of them when nothing else works..

i would think, keeping them all in mind and choose the right one for the situation will keep your edge tools in good maintenance and condition...

IE:if your at the mall, club or a park bench, scary method works well if you remembered your wet dry, and hone,,
        if your at work on a brake the tablet back will hone your tools,

as ed said whatever works for you...

Comment

I do use my oil stones & diamond. Oil for Carbon, diamond if I want to take off a lot of metal in a hurry. The Water grinder I use for BIG stuff. My wife will let me use the card board or sand paper in the living room. Not the oil stone.
          I use temperd glass as a backing.
          Have never cut my self or ruined a blade. When I retire I may go into the sharpening buisness.
          Jerry

Comment

Methinks that will be a very busy job for a retired person, given most folks distaste for sharpening. I am one of those weirdo's that finds it relaxing. Unlike you, I have cut myself. The cuts have decreased to zero since I gave up storing my tools in a tool roll. For some reason I'd poke myself fairly regularly putting the tools in and taking them out. Time to relax, think I'll sharpen my knife and have a beer.

Comment

Working...
            X