ever used a ramelson knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ever used a ramelson knife?

i'm trying to find a good beginner's bench knife as cheap as i can but still have a decent knife,i'm starting to have more and more beginners intrested and if i can get them in a decent knife pretty cheap it helps to have some on hand, i found this one on ramelsons site i have some of their palm tools and like them fine but i didn't know they made a bench knife,the price is right if it's a decent knife any imput would be appreciated.

U.J. Ramelson

Re: ever used a ramelson knife?

I have had one for about 13 years now. It is my general utility knife for those cuts that would endanger the thinner blades. It must be good steel, I rarely strop it, have never sharpened it, and it always performs well. It was my second knife, the first being a Dunkle with BirdsEye Maple handle, too pretty to abuse.
    I think it is a good choice.
    Anthony
    Corryton, TN

Comment

Still think the best deal for beginners is Ricks "beginners" kit...you can't beat it and besides...a knife is just part of the equation, beginners need a Glove! among other things.....the knife is only as good as the sharpening job on it...brand doesn't matter as long as they can carve with it, they will all end up with their favorites down the line anyway..just my opinion.
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

no doubt ricks kit is a deal,and i've told several people about it,but so many people seem fascinated by what i carve with just my knife when i'm doing demonstrations or setup and selling,and they want to get in cheap as they can,i keep extra thumb guards,and am going to keep a few gloves as well,but people want to sit right down and start carving something,right then.they can see if their gonna like it then make the move on up,if they desire,if not then their not out any real money,i've sold a few extra tools and knives i've had and even told them i'd buy them back (long as they weren't destroyed) if they decided they really weren't intrested anymore.thanks for the info as well on the knife i may have to make the move on buying a few of them,seems like the best deal i'll find.

Comment

I think this knife is an absolute best choice for a beginner. Our carving club starts most all new carvers with this knife. The steel is good and holds an edge, perfect choice. Earl

Comment

thanks for the info earl,it looked similar to the murphy bench knife except in the picture it looks like it has a short tang coming out of the handle where the murphy didn't,i started with a murphy myself had never seen a ramelson knife,but it looked like it might be a good choice. thanks again

Comment

Here's a couple of links to better prices on Murphy bench knives:

http://www.hummul.com/045-049hp06.pdf

Traditional Woodworker - Bench / Sheepsfoot Detail Carving Knife - 1 1/2" Blade

Comment

daddio,

just a thought but you may be able to contact both companies and talk to them about buying in bulk and they may give you a better price, i would feel sure the murphy company will sell you as little or as many as you want. just a thought. both of the knives are great starter knives although i have not seen the ramelson knife i do know the murphy is a good one to start with.

bart

Comment

thanks for the tips the websites are very good,and i also may check with the companies although most the time they want you to purchase several hundred dollars worth to become a dealer,but i may still check with them also.thanks for the leads and tipsThank You

Comment

Working...
                  X