Old Craving Tool Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Craving Tool Question

Anybody have any experience with these ? It has a patent stamp from the late 1800's, one of the blades actually cuts, others need to be sharpened, 8 or 10 blades in total. Would anyone know a value ?

Dave

Re: Old Craving Tool Question

I know one thing....as soon as you put them back in the handle any sharp ones will soon be dull. While it's a nice antique I doubt if you could count on it to do any serious carving unless you stored the blades seperately.

Comment

I do not know how much it is worth but I have a collection of old tools including an item similiar to this so I too am interested in the value. I believe that it is over 75 years old. I am 70 and mine belonged to my father.

Marvin Little
      Pell City, Alabama

Comment

Lynn / Marvin, I also collect old tools and do not plan on using it, just wanted it for my collection. I had talked to a gentelmen at a local flea market that had two of them, each one only had a blade or two, he was asking $125.00 for both or $75.00 for one. He put the age at or about 100 years. He was an antique tool dealer ??

Dave

Comment

I got one in a $5 box of stuff from a S. Dakota auction a couple years ago. I thought it was kool but it only had 4 blades. Looked to me like it wouldn't be too tough to make some more blades, but I never did.

Parker

Comment

GC,
            I have exact same tool; Patented Aug. 12.1884, it came with 8 tools.
            It has been floating around the family for years, and orginally came from Pittsburgh Pa area. I have seen others in antique stores but have no accurate idea of value. I just enjoy mine for sentimental value.
            Have fun,
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Canopener View Post
              I just enjoy mine for sentimental value.
              Me. too.

Here's something similar on Pbay with about 10 hours left:

JS FRAY MULTI TOOL WITH 6 DRILL TOOLS CHISEL PUNCH NICE - eBay (item 350071058889 end time Jun-21-08 07:54:39 PDT)

Buy it now - 14.99.

Parker

Comment

Working...
              X