Disston handsaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disston handsaws

going through some old tools of my fathers i discovered a hand saw made by Disston handsaws ... i used it to cut 2 by 2 peace of wood and it went through it like butter....the thing is he tells me it was baught by him in the 70's and never used it..the problem is it colected surface rust lightly we have a dry storage space and real low humaditity in grrece...how should i try to remove the rust?? any ideaThank Yous?

Re: Disston handsaws

Disston made fine saws. I'd use some steel wool to take off the surface rust on the blade then rub it with a fine machine oil.

Comment

I would use the fine steel wool, but instead of the machine oil, I'd use paste wax.

Bob Duncan
      Technical Editor

Comment

I have been having good luck with "Topsaver" Empire Manufacturing they have a kit of about 4/5 things for use around the shop and think the kit is only about 10.00? Works for me. There was another one.....should still be around called "Naval Jelly" might check that out as well....the topsaver maybe just for protection from rust, not clean up rust....don't remember, don't have much rust here, just a little discoloring from time to time.
        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

One of my secret joys is finding tools craftsmen of the past have used and restoring them to the point I can use them in my shop.
          The Saw you have is a good one.
          Used properly oil is not only a lubricant but a cleaning solution.
          Light motor oil and steel wool used in unison will clean that up.
          It may take some work, but the pleasure of using a tool you have restored and know was used by a Craftsman of the past is a specal treat.
          I have some tools that belonged to my wifes Great Grandfather a Cabinet maker. Of no great value, but priceless to me.

Comment

Working...
          X