but they don't tell the brand.
    eBay
    D-CARVING-HAND-CHISEL-TOOL-SET_W0QQitemZ3
    50072786391QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350072786391&
    _trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p328 6.c0.m14
    thanks
    carver 27

Re: brands

Rule number one: Don't buy tools off ebay unless you know precisely what you are doing.

Rule number two: If in doubt, call Littleshavers.

Some good brands (In no particular order, everybody thnks the ones they have are best):
    Pfiel
    Henry Taylor
    Ramelson
    Stubai
    Millers Falls
    Addiss

I have left off a bunch I know, but there are a lot of good ones out there.

Comment

I like the Denny Brand myself. Flexcut is another, but to each his own. It depends on what one prefers and what one can affort. Some of the lesser priced tools are just as good as the more expensive brands.

Comment

I just took a quick look in my box ....
        Ramelson
        Stubai
        Denny
        Millers Falls
        Swiss Army Knife
        One of Rick's Double Cross Kershaws
        and an A.C. Warren

That's todays kit, may very well be different tomorrow. You can tell I'm really brand oriented.

Comment

Carver 27,
          I suggest you don't buy the set you referenced in your posting.
          For full-sized tools, if the price is less than 15-20 dollars per tool, the tools are probably junk.

If you buy tools on Ebay, you will pay about what they are worth.
          You will do better buying the exact tool you want or need as you need them.

Many carvers (including myself) own dozens of tools that we rarely if ever use.

My late Father had a saying that is as insightful as it is simple; (concerning sale pricing) "Nothing is a good buy unless you need it."

I don't always follow this advice, but I have found it to be a painfully true statement.

Here is one of my experiences: As a teenager, I never had all the tools I needed to work on my '47 coupe. So I began collecting sockets, wrenches, etc.
          Now at 55, I have coffee cans and other large containers of quality sockets that I never will use. All I use is the one complete set I was given for Christmas.
          I spent several hundred dollars for the mixed bag of sockets, when I could have bought a complete set for about $75.00.

Does anyone need fifty pounds of sockets? Actually, I was thinking of donating them to the community college.

Comment

When I first started carving I thought that the more tools I had it would make me a better carver. Wrong. I bought a lot of unecessary tools, but by doing so, I had the oportunity to use the ones I don't use now for a sufficient amount of time to know know, now, which ones do not work for me. On a more positive note, occasionally in my carving, now, a tool will come to mind that I had experimented with years back and I find that it works perfectly for the specific job at hand. So, all is not lost if you have a lot of unused tools. Some day you may have the perfect use for them.
            It is best to buy tools as you need them or see a use for them, but if you don't, it's a way of paying your dues, I guess.

Comment

back when i was playing in bands my old saying was he who dies with the most guitars wins right??!! lol i thought the same applied now to carving tools! uuugghh i'll never win..lol. really a basic beginners set,or basic set will give you enough to start with and then learn as you go and as you talk to other carvers see if you can try some of their different brand of tools before you buy one try and see how you like it.from the basic set then you can add tools you really need or want.hey i'm a bargin kind of guy i shop e-bay all the time and have picked up a lagre amount of my tools there.no their not a matching set i have denny, ramelson,harmen ,flexcut,swiss made ,two cherries,buck bros,and i have paid as little as 4 dollars for some of these that were just like new and haven't paid over about 12 dollars for any single tool.thing is you need to know about the type tools your bidding on,know that's what you want and what it cost new,always always always check seller feedback!!! all this being said i think rick has a very good deal on his beginner set,and that this is a great jumping off point. from there live and learn do a search on this board for different types of tools,and even this same question comes up all the time do a search and you should get tons of info. good luckHappy

p.s.
              i looked at the sets you had linked and i would stay away from those do an e-bay search for the brand names people on here have given you there all just about on there.

Comment

Hello,

The brands of tools you will find in my box include the following:

Denny gouges + V-tools
                Stubai palm & full sized tools
                Diobsud Forge gouges
                Pfeil misc
                Ron Wells knives
                Helvie knives

I do not like Ramelson, Flexcut,Ashley Iles or Henry Taylor tools.

The carving tools on ebay are 90% garbage, 9.9% over-priced(Pfeil), and a good bargain on occasion. You have to know what you are looking at to find the occasional bargain.

Dan

Comment

I don't know if they are garbage but,,,,,,,,, you get what you pay for. At 15 buck for the set, I don't think so. Contact Rick at Little Shavers Wood Carving Supply for some quality tools and they are sharp when you get them. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by carver 27 View Post
                    what are some good tool brands?
                    I am checking on e-bay for tools.
                    but they don't tell the brand.
                    eBay
                    D-CARVING-HAND-CHISEL-TOOL-SET_W0QQitemZ3
                    50072786391QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350072786391&
                    _trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p328 6.c0.m14
                    thanks
                    carver 27

Take a good look at those, they are el cheapos, I see them on there for as low as 10/12 dollars.....
                    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Hi Carver

I like Pfeil, Two Cherries and Cape Forge tools. I've said before on this forum that I was taught to get the best tools you can afford and you won't regret it. So unless you really know what you're looking at on Ebay,etc, I'd suggest you stay away from that. I know alot of folks on this board like Rick at Little Shavers, although I've never dealt with him myself.

Good luck to you!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X