Which power sharpener is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which power sharpener is the best?

Of all the power sharpeners out there I am trying to find some opinions on which one is the best. I have the Ultimate power sharpener from chipping away, and I also have the work sharp 3000. I must say that I like the UPS the best because it does knives where the work sharp does not. The work sharp does sharpen carving tools with ease but all the other things it does is more for someone who uses alot of straight chiesels and planes. UPS is the better tool between the two of these (IMO). But I also have burned and absolutley ruined a v tool on the UPS, can't say it's the sharpeners fault cause it was mine. I'm just saying if you aren't careful it takes no time to wreck a tool on the UPS or atleast damage it enough so you have alot more work to do to bring the tool back in service. I want to try something else in the way of power sharpeners and I was looking at the Tormek or the new jet. I realize that the jet has a 100.00 cheaper price tag but it also uses the Tormek accessories. Does anyone have any experience with these two sharpeners and which one is better? I kinda like the water cooled route cause I have been guilty of getting my tools to hot on the UPS. With water I don't forsee burning any more tools. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Re: Which power sharpener is the best?

With all those sharpening systems the most important thing about them is the person behind the machine. I think your problem might be in how you're using the sharpening system no matter what system it might be. I have a water wheel and you can burn your tool on that one too if you're not careful.

Comment

I have a few stones and strops. All powered by hand and my tools are shaving sharp. I remember the guy who taught me to play golf and he also built golf clubs. He made enough money to pay for his golf games. He said "everyone wants to buy a better game of golf". It kinda strikes me that if you can't sharpen by hand, you might not be able to get he most out of a power sharpener.

Comment

I can understand what you people are trying to say and maybe I did jump into power sharpening too soon. But I already know how to sharpen by hand so I thought that sharpening by power would be much easier. As I found out it is not. I think that I just need some more expierence with the power tools. I do like that Tormek and Jet systems though because they seem to make jigs to hold the tools steady so one can get the proper angle while sharpening. I think this is my problem with the UPS. Anyway thanks for the comments. Anyone got anything else please feel free to let me know. Thanks, Jim

Comment

a mercedes 500 s class...heheheJester

Comment

What about the Woodcraft sharpener. I read a post on another forum and everyone loved it. What are your thoughts, I was thinking of buying it.

WOODCRAFT Horizontal Wet Stone Grinder - Woodcraft.com

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf Coast Handyman View Post
              What about the Woodcraft sharpener. I read a post on another forum and everyone loved it. What are your thoughts, I was thinking of buying it.

Dave
              i've been looking at that one to ..it seems interesting but i also have no clue as to how good it is!!!it looks like its the next best thing to a dry flat grinder...id imagine it will probably need alot of truing cause of easy grooving ...it looks easy to use. and i would probably spend more time sharpening on it than needed!!!thus the deep groove and the need to replace the stone fast!heheheheeeBouncing S

Comment

I have one that looks just like that only a woodtek.....but it isn't reversible and I would not recommend buying one that isn't! imho
                "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I'm witht he good Capt! The armstrong method. I don't think the average carver does enough sharpening to justify the use of power equipment. Then again, there's always the "another tool" thing.

Comment

Dave,
                    Thats a good point, I don't know if the Woodcraft one is reversibile.
                    Dave

Comment

The best sharpener is the cheapest one! With the exception of someone like Lynn who carves regularly for a living and might feel the need for power there is no way that the average joe could ever recognize payback from a $200-$400 sharpening system. That buys one %#&* of a lot of diamond hones and sandpaper!

Comment

Come on Eddy, you can never have to many toys, O I mean tools. LOL

Dave

Comment

You know...
                          I started with some oil stones. They were fine but took me "f o r e v e r".
                          Next I went to water stones. Again they took forever.
                          Next I got some ceramics and two diamond stones. Still took forever.
                          By this point I have NO idea how much I'd invested in stones.

I like sharpening well enough but I REALLY prefer spending my time CARVING! And believe me when I say my sharpening time has really dropped. What use to take 20-30 min now takes 4-5.

Then I got one of those flat powered stones. Mine was under $100 (I think I paid $60). It came with two stones 400 and 1000. The problem was the guide. A flat bar that was a piece of junk. So while at Woodcrafters I was looking at the Tormex thinking $$$Ouch. Plus I didn't like the idea of hollow grinding my carving tools - even if it was only slight. But the jigs weren't too bad so I bought the arch and the gouge and skew jigs.
                          I got home and mounted the arch in a block of wood and I mounted the jig to the arch (all over the grinder). BEST SOLUTION I've ever found.
                          My (past) sharpening challenges have been spoons, reversed spoons, my #11/1.5mm and V tools. (Chris Pye also has a section on modifying the heels on V tools. It works best if you can mirror the grind on both sides.) This combination of jig and grinder has eliminated all of my sharpening worries.
                          Actually, I'm thinking that when the stones go I'll replace them with a platen made aluminum or stainless. Then just attaching wet and dry paper to it - that way it'd never need flattening. This also got me thinking sharpening jigs and I've come up with a couple of my own thanks to this system.
                          I make my own buffing cream which I use on a felt that's chucked on the lathe to remove the wire edge and then I use a strop at my bench every 15 minutes or so.

Comment

Hey Dave! If you've got the money to burn on one of those toys, God bless you! Perhaps if I had started this hobby twenty years ago when I was still working I might have some power equipment but this fixed income budget just doesn't allow for anything fancy! However, it does make you get inventive!

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf Coast Handyman View Post

Dave
                              No need to look any further at this sharpener, it's been discontinued. Just my luck??

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X