Thinking of new tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of new tools

I could give him one more piece of advice. Tools do not a carver make you. I'm living proof of that. I have more tools of various makes, models and styles than should even be legal. More than I even want to count, but certainly in the hundreds and am still a hack. A happy hack, but a hack none the less. Spent more than a little time in China. Some of the most beautiful and intricate carvings I have ever seen were done with only a chisel of about 1/2" width. They were even carving very intricate designs on chop sticks with that one tool. How come I can't do that?

Comment

if u ask 10 carvers this question and give them long enough-- you will have 13-15 answers----i like denny and swiss made tools-- the intermidiate size

Comment

I just thought I would see what everyone had to say about it. I think I will try a different brand of tools there is a Woodcraft store near where I go to night classes at and I will look around in there and see what they have. But I can see that everyone has stuff they like and stuff they don't as always thanks for all the great info!

Comment

Well Ed put it in a nutshell; good advice.
          I try to keep this in mind, but keep buying tools anyway.
          I also am repacing my flexcuts and own at least one of all of the above tools and agree they are good choices. But you can find my first choice at Welcome to Drake Knives.com, especially if you are trying to buy US. I really like his knives. The only drawback is he has a rather small inventory, but maybe that is the way it should be.
          I should also tell you they are nice folks, so I am a bit biased.
          Jim

Comment

Working...
          X