Is This For Real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This For Real

So I stopped in to the Woodcraft store today (not Woodcraft Shop, wish they were closer) to look at thier sharpening stones. Very nice gentelmen helped me and sugested a way of sharpening that I have never heard of, he said it is from a carving DVD. He did not remember who's DVD it was but thought it might be E. Ellenwood. Anyway he said that instead of pushing or pulling your knife blade along the stone, you should (hard to explain) push and pull the blade up and down. In other words, picture the stone in front of you, lay the tip of the knife on the bottom of the stone (edge closest to you) and push toward the top of the stone, then pull back down and repeat. I had never heard of this before ? Does anyone know of this method of sharpening?

Dave

Re: Is This For Real

If I'm reading your post correctly I think you mean using a sort of sawing motion vice a slicing motion. If that's what you mean, yes, I have tried it on a couple knives. It works, but not as well as the normal method (for me). Might have been that I've been using the same method for so many years, anything different doesn't work as well.

Comment

Well said Ed, that's it a sawing motion. I had never heard about that way of sharpening before. I figure I will give it a shot, I have the first carving knife that I ever bought, a Wallnut Hollow, Good knife to practice on.

Dave

Comment

I recently watched that video. I can't remember where. It looked like an easier method of controlling the angle. I tried it out. It was a real forehead slapper. Much easier. I like it, and will continue using it.
        Bob
        Anthony
        Corryton, TN

Comment

Dave:
          ive been told that it helps to maintain a more even bevel,I to have used this method for many years.
          Mark N. Akers
          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Thanks Bob, if you remember the video please let me know.

Dave

Comment

I have been searching all over the internet. I can't find it again. It is driving me nuts.
              Anthony
              Corryton, TN

Comment

Bob don't sweat it, not a big deal. Thank you for looking.

Mark the gentlemen at Woodcraft said the same thing, it does make sense.

Dave

Comment

I think you are looking for the following:
                  Everett Ellenwood is the author of the DVD and it is called, Sharpening Simplified - DVD

Had the pleasure of taking a class with Ev at The Woodcraft Shop in Bettendorf, Iowa this past winter and he is a prince of a fellow and very, very helpful. I think he also has his own web site, but I don't know the URL right off hand.

If you can't find it, let me know and I will find it for you.

Gene

Comment

Thank you Gene, I did find the web site, just was not sure if that was the DVD in question. I think he also has a caving DVD that has some sharpening in it.

Dave

Comment

I think this is it.

ellenwood arts | "Sharpening Simplified" video- properly contour and sharpen your carving tools

Dave

Comment

I see where he just came out with a woodcarving book also. From A to Z in that book. I saw his preliminary book in February and it looked really good. Now someone said it was out. Don't remember the name. But, if you found his web site, I am sure the book will be on there.

Gene

Comment

I was taught to sharpen in the saw technique. From what I was told it's easier to stay consistent with the bevel this way. Drawing the blade across the stone then lifting it and trying to get the same angle is harder for a beginner. On my first time trying to saw I was able to produce a burr the first time. Something I wasn't able to do drawing the blade across the stone.

Comment

Good Morning Everyone. I just bought this book at B&N yesterday. It is so thorough and easy to understand. The photography is the best I have ever seen.So Clear, and lots of photos. Chapter 6 is on Sharpening your tools and page 107 has the sawing technique. If you don't want to buy the book, at least go by the bookstore and thumb through it. I think you will be pleased. It is sort of like a mini encyclopedia of woodcarving. Beautiful!
                            Catbird

Comment

Catbird,
                              Is this the book The Complete Book of Woodcarving ?

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X