Carving Vice....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving Vice....

I don't really want to mess with making a vice and I don't need a lot of vice, just something to hold a little larger or awkward projects like shoes and boots etc. Do any of you have this one or have used it? Thoughts?

TheWoodcraftShop.com > Home

Thanks,
    Corey

Re: Carving Vice....

Corey I have not used that one but it looks like it should work fine.
    Here's what I'm using.
    PanaVise: Heavy Duty

Comment

Thanks Jim, what does that one run?

Corey

Comment

Corey,
        I have not used it but I did look it over a couple of times at a show I attended. It was surprisingly tight. I worried thou about it becoming loose because of the several inch leverage and the pressure applied if carving more than a little carving. If I'm not mistaken I understand you carve items smaller than your fist. If this is correct it may work fine for you. For the same price or less I've seen other styles of work holders that would work also. I have one that is nothing more than a split ball with a hole in it that is nested in a vise with a tightening handle. It accepts a round plate with a 3-4" stud that when added to the hole in the split ball and then tightened holds my work really secure. I've mounted it to a board so I can clamp it to tables when I use it a seminars.
        I just happened to remember I pictured this vise early at shown link below.

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...-1-custom-.jpg

Comment

Bob I do primarily smaller carvings probably would want to do some a little larger than my fist but not much.

Thanks for the look at your vice. That looks a lot like the Panavise type that Jim posted and I like the clamp that you have it for your board. Would fit great on my bench that way as well.

Corey

Comment

Last week I picked up a small bench/clamp vice at Aldi's (ya, I know, it's a grocery store) that has 360 degree swiveling head and somewhat softer plastic jaws. I haven't used it yet, but it looks like it could be a good mount for small carvings. The vice jaws themselves are removable as a unit with a simple set screw, so a flat mounting plate could easilly be substituted, or a small carving could be clamped directly in the jaws.

Cost was 10 bucks, plus tax; of COURSE it's made in China.

Al

Comment

Thanks Al, our Aldi"s closed up a month or so ago. Will have to check to see if there is still one in Omaha.

Corey

Comment

I think this may be available in other stores, too. Brand is "KingCraft"
                Figure size-wize the "ball" on this vice is just around 1" dia.

Al

Comment

I have one like the one above. It was cheap and you get what you pay for eh...lol That said it works ok and I will keep using it. Here's the link!
                  rz
                  Deluxe Swivelling Bench Vise: Widget Supply

Comment

I have a similar trailer ball vise I made on my picturetrail site...also a "Poor Mans Vise" that you can get plans for off the internet...the Poor mans vise is on the end of my shaving horse.
                    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa Carver View Post
                      Thanks Jim, what does that one run?

Corey
                      Corey I really don't know what current retail is on that.
                      I walked into Hobby Haven here in Des Moines a few years ago and they had a moving liquidation sale going on, I paid $20 for ths base. I think thats about 1/2 price for the base and then the topper about $20-30.

On Second thought heres a link, you might do better by shopping around.
                      PanaVise for Woodcarvers ~ Holds 100lbs.

Comment

Look here I just purchased a rock carving vise and I think it must be made by panavise looks very simaler, look under work positioners.
                        Wood Carvers Supply, Inc.

Comment

Thanks all. Jim looks like they have a heavy duty model 400 now. If Woodcraft Shop brings the Ram Mount one to the show I am going to check it out. The one RZ and Al picture can be had for about 20. - 25.00 at Smokey Mountain... the only thing I don't like about that is the jaws dont open very wide.

Corey

Comment

Stanley tools make a small 360 vise for less than $30 if I remember right.

Works great for smaller carvings.

It will clamp to the edge of a bench or table and is really portable.

Comment

Scott, thanks for that. I checked it out on Amazon, it's called the Stanley Multiangle Vice. Pretty neat and has the largest capacity of all these little jaw type. I may have to see if Menards or HD has it the next time I am there.
                              Thanks,
                              Corey

Comment

Working...
                              X